Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oriel House Badge

BrendanLee

The image below is of a badge allegedly worn by a detective from Oriel House. I say allegedly because considering the type of activities Oriel House engaged in I was surprised to see a badge that would identify someone as working for Oriel House. I would be interested to hear the views of anyone on the forum, the badge is being offer for sale and the text below the image is that given in the description. There are some errors in the description, the starting price is 600 Euro.

post-53649-093794200 1296994504.jpg

Early CID Detective Officer pinback badge, number 63 on badge shaped from letters "OH" with "SE" in sunburst above. These were issued to the Special Detective Section set up in in 1917 by Michael Collins as Minister of Home Affairs and were separate from the DMP. They were based in Oriel House (hence OH) and merged with the Garda Siochana in 1923. Lettering in green enamel on white metal. Some tarnishing, very good.

As far as I'm aware the special detective unit was not formed until Aug. 1922.

Saorstat Eireann (Irish Free State), SE on top of badge, did not exist in 1917.

Ken

Looks right enough to me, would have been issued originally in a numbered leather warrant holder. As Ken says, from 1922. Not sure what connection there is to the Great War though...

Looks right enough to me, would have been issued originally in a numbered leather warrant holder. As Ken says, from 1922. Not sure what connection there is to the Great War though...

First time I have seen one of these, I would quest that it was issued after the Civil War.

Peter