Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suez Canal memorial

egbert

As we British never bothered to record the total deaths of Egyptian Labour Corps (ELC) personnel in our service, many of whom having been recruited by very dubious means, I look at this splendidly militarily-maintained memorial as a tribute commemorating ELC casualties as well as others. Harry

Mate,

Your right we often forget the help given by the Egyptian natives during this war.

Egyptian supplied the ELC not to mention the men in the CTC which kept our forces fighting.

No to mention the many Egyptian Army units that fought and maned the garrisions across Egypt and the Sudan.

We can never forget the work carried out in building the water Pipeline and railway across the Sinai which allowed our forces to move to gaza and beyound.

I also record many Egyptians as interpreters and helpers with AIF units (like HQ and medical units) which assisted our forces during the war.

Cheers

S.B

Egyptian Labour Corps (ELC) personnel in our service, many of whom having been recruited by very dubious means

Spot on there Harry.

Allenby writing to Wilson on 16 April 1919 and talking about the unrest in Egypt at that time

"Egypt complains - with some truth - that she, who has been loyal throughout the war, is refused the right of being heard... ... ... ... ...

Voluntary recruiting for the Egyptian Labour Corps - carried out by press-gang methods in the provinces - is one grievance.

Then again, the requisitioning of animals and supplies for military purposes; unjustly applied in many cases... ... ..."

(my emphasis)

regards

Michael

Yes, well said, Harry! Allenby's sympathetic attitude is important, and it's why he was appointed High Commissioner of Egypt in 1919 at the height of the riots which occurred that spring, not only in the cities of the Delta, but the length of the Nile Valley. The ELC was a major cause of that unrest.

Russell

Mate,

Although not dead these are a small number I record with AIF units in Egypt and Palestine

ATTAR Joseph N/R N/R Egyptian Army interpreter

AWAD Aly Ahmed 2814 Nafar Egyptian Army EATC att 32Co AASC Anzac MDT

BOUSTANY NK N/R N/R Egyptian Army to interpreter 03 LHR

BROTOS Zaky 500 N/R Egyptian Army ELC att Interpreter 32Co AASC Anzac MDT

CHAVOOSHIAN K N/R N/R Egyptian Army interpreter att RHQ/04 LHR 5-15

FOLI Rassemain Sulliman A/4649 Dvr Egyptian Army EATC att 3 LHFA recom MID - for his actions under fire at El Burj 1-12-17

FREIJAH Jamiel N/R Pte Egyptian Army Interpreter att 1 LH Bde HQ 12-14 accident shot Pte Alt 5-10-18 AKA Frejah

GOBRIAL Caspar N/R N/R Egyptian Army Interpreter att 1 LH Bde Trn 12-14

HABIB Elias N/R N/R Egyptian Army Interpreter 2 LH Bde HQ 5-15

HAFEZ Mohamed N/R N/R Egyptian Army Interpreter 9 LHR 1917-18

HENEIN Emile N/R N/R Egyptian Army interpreter att RHQ/01 LHR 1-16

KHALILE Mohammed Talel A/4652 Dvr Egyptian Army EATC att 3 LHFA recom MID - for his actions under fire at El Burj 1-12-17

KHOMIS Abdul al Belnhit A/4684 Dvr Egyptian Army EATC att 4 LHFA recom MID - for his actions under fire at Beit Sira 30-11-17

LOIZO V N/R N/R Egyptian Army interpreter att RHQ/04 LHR 2-15 disch 5-15

SULIMAN Abu Zaid A/1979 Dvr Egyptian Army EATC att 4 LHFA recom MID - for his actions under fire at Tamta and Beit Sira 30-11-17

MOHAMEDAIN Ali Harmod A/4644 Dvr Egyptian Army ECTC att 3 LHFA recom MID - for his actions under fire at El Burj 1-12-17

ZEIR Bash Rais Saved Ahmed B/10529 Dvr Egyptian Army ECTC att 1 LH Bde HQ att 1 LHFA recom for bravery MID 3-4-18

MANSOURY Abdul Hamid el N/R Dvr Egyptian Army interpreter att RHQ/04 LHR 8-17

MOHAMED Hafez N/R Dvr Egyptian Army interpreter att 9 LHR

TEWFIK Zeibak N/R N/R Egyptian Army Interpreter att 1 LH Bde 12-14

YAZIGI Abdu N/R N/R Egyptian Army Interpreter att 1 LH Bde 1918 disch 12-18

MOHAMED Ali Said 220 Dvr Egyptian Army interpreter 4 LH Bde HQ att RHQ/04 LHR 10-17

SULIMAN Hana Saleh 2799 Nafar Egyptian Army EATC att Q store att 32Co Anzac MDT

S.B

Mabrook! Steve H

• 7 years later...

Was glad to discover exactly what this memorial is, as I'd always thought it was for Ferdinand de Lesseps!

Anyway, I thought you might like this close-up photo of it, taken in 1951. That's my mother in silhouette, and younger brother below. I was there too, but seem to have vanished!  

Suez Canal memorial 1951.png