Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North Staffs in India, 1915

Raster Scanning

The picture says it all.

Can anyone please tell me what the action was that led to Pte Toft's death.

Thanks in advance.

John.

post-5-1088237141.jpg

John

Shabkadar is a fort in the Peshawar district, due North of Peshawar across the Kabul river. There had been fighting around the fort in 1897 and 1908 against rebelious local tibesmen.

In April 1915 approx 2400 Mohmand tribesmen attacked the 1st (Peshawar) Division in the area and were defeated. Unrest continued throughout the year and during the period 17th August-28th October there was considerable fighting and skirmishing against the Mohmands and other tribes in the area. On 5 September 1915 an action took place at Hafiz Kor, near Shabkadar, in which about 10,000 tribesmen were defeated, after a gallant resistance by infantry and cavalry. Cpl.Charles Hull of the 21st Lancers winning the VC for his gallantry in rescuing an officer under fire.

For actions during 1915 the 2 North Staffs. were awarded the Battle Honour 'N.W. Frontier India 1915'

Shabkadar is now spelled as Shabqadar.

Dave

Dave.

Thanks very much for you comprehensive reply. I picked up Toft's memorial card at a postcard fair a few years ago.

Nice to have the background to his death, I will try to look at the War Diary.

Thanks again.

John.

Hi,

I just thought I'd add that British casulaties during the action on Sept. 5th were 113, of which 24 were KIA. The 2nd North Staff in particular during this period on the Frontier of June-October 1915 suffered 1 BO wounded, 11 OR's wounded, and 3 OR's killed, most or all of which would have been on Sept 5th or another similar action on Sept 20th 1915.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Chris