Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM

agregco

Thanks, Harry. Lost or stolen seem to be the only logical options. It is not too probable that Lt. Codling would sell it off himself between WW1 and WW2. I guess we've gone as far as we can in helping Greg and only an "official" investigation into the provenance of the "Sgt" issue-medal could uncover the truth. I suppose that trolling local newspapers between 1919 and, say, 1929 for reports of a theft from Lt. Codling could be worthwhile. Cheers, Antony

It is always possible too that he acquired and unamed DCM after disposing of his original and had it named himself, especially if he served in WW 2 and would have needed to parade with medals and would not want to explain why he didn't have his.

It is always possible too that he acquired and unamed DCM after disposing of his original and had it named himself,

ScottM

Its a possibility,but unlikely, as the late type mount FM head DCM would have been extremely thin on the ground,being only used for later replacements; the only unamed DCMs would have been those to Allied recipients, {no further DCMs being issued from the 1920s until the Crowned Head Geo V DCM for Indian & Palestine awards {Walkers Book actually stops @ 1920/1 when the last Field Marshal DCMs were awarded} + The naming on Codlings DCM depicted looks to be "All Correct" & impressed in later small sans serif capital letters as per GSM/IGS of the 1930s & 40s

HB

Agreed, Harry. We're dealing with a man who was commissioned through the ranks, having first made Serjeant, for actions in the Field. His MIC talks of clasps and roses and things and, after serving in Hell, decided to go back and do it all again. I really don't see him flogging off his medals. That simply an observation on human nature. Cheers, Antony

I would Like to say thank you all for your advice and help, I didn't expect to receive so much information on the Forum but it has been appreciated. I am going to print out the posts and send them to my aunty who is in her 80's, she still lives in Rosset but unfortunately is no longer using her computer.

Regards

Greg