Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Guest zebedee

Thanks Hazel. Any help is much appreciated.

I am trying to decipher the service number. It is my belief that as the number started 7, that means he was in the 8th division?? Please correct me if ai have it wrong. I'm also confused to what the S/ means at the beginning!

Mike

James my Grandfather served till 2nd of January 1919.

James White S/3441 served with the 8th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders and all of his medals were issued under that battalion so he did not transfer. You could try searching The Scotsman newspaper archive but unless you have a rough idea of when he was wounded, that could take some time and they ceased to publish wounded casualties at one point, once the official War Office Casualty Lists were being published. You can buy credits to search this paper on-line or buy a subscription. Alternatively, if you are in Scotland you can access it free from your library.

Thanks Hazel. Any help is much appreciated.

I am trying to decipher the service number. It is my belief that as the number started 7, that means he was in the 8th division?? Please correct me if ai have it wrong. I'm also confused to what the S/ means at the beginning!

Mike

Sorry Mike, i don't know much about service numbers but I think the S meant that he was in for the duration of the war. My grandfather was with the 1st Seaforth prior to joining the 8th and his number, which he kept all the way through the war, is very different. His number dates to 1907. There are a couple of people called Charles Ross with service papers on Ancestry but can't find anyone with anything close to that service number. Perhaps if he was wounded, you may want to check the Scotsman for their lists of casualties.

Hazel

Hi

I have found out an ancestor served with the Seaforths in WW1.

His service number was S/7984 Pte Charles Ross.

He entered the France theatre of war on 4/8/15

I am trying to find out which battalion he served in. From what I have surmised it was with the 8th Battalion.

Can anyone advise or confirm this please?

Regards

PW

Charles Ross S/7984 started out with the 9th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders and at some point transferred to the 1st Bn. Seaforth Highlanders. The transfer may have been because he was wounded and not returned to his original battalion. You can find out more on both of these battalions here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/seaforth.htm

Edit: the 's' denotes a service battalion.

Charles Ross S/7984 started out with the 9th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders and at some point transferred to the 1st Bn. Seaforth Highlanders. The transfer may have been because he was wounded and not returned to his original battalion. You can find out more on both of these battalions here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/seaforth.htm

Edit: the 's' denotes a service battalion.

So Marjorie, how did you figure that out? The 1st, as you know, ended up in Mesopotamia and were nearly wiped out!

H

The 's' bit or the 9th and 1st Bns. ?

The 's' bit or the 9th and 1st Bns. ?

The Bns.!

H

The Bns.!

H

Ah yes, right - sorry - should've known. I have some of the medal rolls but I have a darn sight less of them since my hard drive was nicked. Luckily these guys (Privates White and Ross) are in the pages I still have.

... The 1st, as you know, ended up in Mesopotamia and were nearly wiped out!

H

That's a very good point actually, they would have needed reinforcements and it could be why he was sent to the 1st.

Whaw! Thanks, for your information Seaforth and Hazel. It is very much appreciated

Seaforth, are you able to forward me the documents stating his battalions?

Whaw! Thanks, for your information Seaforth and Hazel. It is very much appreciated

Seaforth, are you able to forward me the documents stating his battalions?

post-70679-0-61399800-1391377587_thumb.j

As you can see the man above him is 9th Bn. Charles Ross is ditto'd indicating he is also 9th Bn. also denoted by the 's' in his service number. The other ditto refers to his rank which is Pte. You can also see from the line below that he is then transferred to the 1st Bn. But as Hazel pointed out and you will see on the Long, long trail the 1st. moved from France to Mesopotamia. Trying to figure out his transfer time would be difficult.

The diaries are at The National Archives at Kew I don't know if they have been released in the digitisation process. The references on his medal card refer to the roll number but translate to the following file at The National Archives: WO 329/1645.

Seaforth's, thank you very much for this information. Truly and deeply.

I have been told by relatives that Charles Ross is the soldier on the left on my profile picture. There is also rumour that the other two were his brothers Roderick and James ( my great grandfather). Now time to find them!!

Mike

You're welcome Mike.

The image is too small for me to see their uniform and especially their glengarry badges clearly. I'm no expert on uniforms at all but there are several forum members who are, especially the Scots regiments. You could try posting a good clear scan of the image in 'uniforms' using photobucket and you would probably get a lot of feedback.

I can check if they are Seaforth men but I would need the roll reference from their Medal Index Card (from Ancestry or TNA) to do that.

Thanks. The only info I have is that they were in the Seaforth's also and their names Roderick and Angus Ross. A relative that seems to know the most is 84 and starting to wilt but he has been a great help. I'll see what I can dig up, and thanks again. I' ll try something with the photo

I have attached the photo to this post. Hopefully it is clearer. Charles Ross is said to be the one on the left with the other two being his brothers Angus and Roderick?!

post-102650-0-74295900-1391863718_thumb.

They all appear to be wearing the Mackenzie (Seaforth). The man in the centre certainly seems to have a Seaforth sporran and badge (stag's head) and it isn't the 5th (their badge was different - wildcat - and they wore Sutherland). Can you see the glengarry badge of the chap on the right? Does it look the same as the centre man's sporran badge? If you have a magnifying glass you might be able to see that more clearly than I can.

Try locating medal cards for them on Ancestry or TNA sites. I would need the reference page number from the medal cards to pin down their battalions.

I have attached the photo to this post. Hopefully it is clearer. Charles Ross is said to be the one on the left with the other two being his brothers Angus and Roderick?!

I asked one of the guys who is much better informed on uniforms to have a look at your photo and give an opinion. It seems his eyesight is also better than mine. His comment is on this thread: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206303&hl=

You may never get to the bottom of why he transferred if his service record or pension record did not survive. It might be because he was wounded and on recovery sent back but to another battalion or, they needed reinforcements for the 1st Bn. As Hazel said previously.

You can access The Scotsman newspaper archives free from your library. Try checking the Seaforth casualty lists in The Scotsman and see if his name comes up. However be aware that if you use a name search, you might miss him as the text recognition isn't brilliant. You could also try what would have been his local newspaper at that time and check their archives through the library. Sometimes snippets of information about individuals or families of soldiers can be found in those. Transfers were quite common the information can be found I service records possibly pension records if he claimed a war pension. Other than those sources I don't know of any other method of tracing a transfer, other than deduction via casualty lists.

I asked one of the guys who is much better informed on uniforms to have a look at your photo and give an opinion. It seems his eyesight is also better than mine. His comment is on this thread: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206303&hl=

You may never get to the bottom of why he transferred if his service record or pension record did not survive. It might be because he was wounded and on recovery sent back but to another battalion or, they needed reinforcements for the 1st Bn. As Hazel said previously.

You can access The Scotsman newspaper archives free from your library. Try checking the Seaforth casualty lists in The Scotsman and see if his name comes up. However be aware that if you use a name search, you might miss him as the text recognition isn't brilliant. You could also try what would have been his local newspaper at that time and check their archives through the library. Sometimes snippets of information about individuals or families of soldiers can be found in those. Transfers were quite common the information can be found I service records possibly pension records if he claimed a war pension. Other than those sources I don't know of any other method of tracing a transfer, other than deduction via casualty lists.

That's great thanks again for your help. I'll check out the newspapers and try get a hold of the service/pension records.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I am off to Normandy this Friday (7 April) to visit some battlefields and am trying to do some research into my great grandfather so that I can locate either his grave or the place where he was killed in action. I was hoping someone might be able to help me as I cannot get any further.

His name was Adam Mitchell and I have found on forces-war-research.co.uk that he was a Private in the 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders and was killed in action on 24 December 1917. His service number was S/12335 and he served in both Flanders and France. However I cannot find any mention of him on cwgc.org so does that mean he is buried in an unmarked grave? If so, could someone assist me by telling me where the 8th Battalion was fighting on 24 December 1917 so that I can track down where it is likely he fell?

Many thanks in advance,

James

Hi everyone,

I am off to Normandy this Friday (7 April) to visit some battlefields and am trying to do some research into my great grandfather so that I can locate either his grave or the place where he was killed in action. I was hoping someone might be able to help me as I cannot get any further.

His name was Adam Mitchell and I have found on forces-war-research.co.uk that he was a Private in the 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders and was killed in action on 24 December 1917. His service number was S/12335 and he served in both Flanders and France. However I cannot find any mention of him on cwgc.org so does that mean he is buried in an unmarked grave? If so, could someone assist me by telling me where the 8th Battalion was fighting on 24 December 1917 so that I can track down where it is likely he fell?

Many thanks in advance,

James

James the 8th Seaforth were at Arras at that time having just gone through some serious fighting. My Grandfather was also in the 8th and lost his arm on July 31st at Ypres where your G.Grandfather would also have fought. I have the diaries if you need any information from them. Will also see if I can find any mention in the 15th History.

Hazel

Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance,

James

Your grandfather is buried at Level Crossing Cemetery at Fampoux Grave #11B 43

Hazel

Hazel that is fantastic. Thank you so much. Where did you get the information from? I have searched high and low. Is it possible to find out where he would have been fallen? I would like to visit there as well as his grave.

Best,

James

Hazel that is fantastic. Thank you so much. Where did you get the information from? I have searched high and low. Is it possible to find out where he would have been fallen? I would like to visit there as well as his grave.

Best,

James

The grave information is on the Commonwealth War Graves Site. I did not put all the information in; just his name and initial, with country, force (army)and date of death. i will try to upload it but it may not work. However I do have the diaries so will look at them more thoroughly later when I have a minute. Can't see anything in the Div. History.

Hazel

P.S. Can't upload it, but you should be able to find it now you know where it is.

H

I've managed to find it. Thank you ever so much. If you can find any more information about where he was fighting at that time in the diaries that would be fantastic. I will also visit Ypres. Would he have been at the Somme?

James

I've managed to find it. Thank you ever so much. If you can find any more information about where he was fighting at that time in the diaries that would be fantastic. I will also visit Ypres. Would he have been at the Somme?

James

The 15th Division was at the Somme so likely if he was with the 8th at that time he would have been. Loos, I think, was the first battle for the 15th Division. Will see what I can find later.

Just checked his medal card and don't know that he would have been at Loos, because as he did not receive the third medal, he must have joined later than 1915. I don't know much about medals but I think that one had to have joined prior to 1915 to receive it. There are people on the Forum who would know better than I. His card does not state when he went abroad.

H.

Edited by hazel clark