Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick John Hallamore

Phil Evans

I can’t find this man on CWGC despite trying numerous spellings etc:

Frederick John HALLAMORE

Gunner 79240 RGA (briefly with 238 Siege Battery)

Pte 411157 Labour Corps (889 Area Employment Company)

He was discharged under Para 392 (xvi) on the 15th July 1918, having been confined in Winchester Red Cross Hospital with TB. Being in the late stages, he was admitted, by his family to the Park Hospital, Hither Green, where he died on 30th July 1918.

His record has survived in WO 364 (Pensions) and there are entries for him in Kelly’s (1912 and 1914) and the National Probate Calendar. Some-when between 1901 and 1911 census, the family moved from Forest Hill to Southend. According to his MIC, his widow was living in Broadstairs by 1923. His birth, marriage and death, are all on FreeBMD.

His name appears on the Southend-on-Sea County Borough War Memorial, according to the Roll of Honour, Essex pages as Frederick J Hallmore.

Is he on the IFCP waiting list?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Phil

do you have a burial place at all. Can check Lewisham for you; however Southend is a no go area now

Chris

Chris,

I only came across him by chance, while trying some wild card searches on FreeBMD for a patial name on the Lewisham Military Hospital Memorial. I believe the family came from Cornwall originally. His father worked in a bank and all the children were born in this area. I have no idea why they chose Hither Green Hospital for him to see out his last days. He doesn't come up on any of the Lewisham memorials.

Please, by all means give Lewisham a try, when you get a chance.

My hunch though is Southend. Looking around, North Road, Westcliff-on-sea, or Sutton Road, Southend. Presumably they charge a huge fee, no concessions.

Phil

Phil

Southend do not even answer my e mails

Chris

He's not in Sutton Road cemetery, Southend.

Nothing on CWGC on either Service Number or 30th July 1918

Can't answer for St Johns or North Road (or elsewhere)

Kevin

do you have access to the records for Sutton Road?

Chris

It's nice to see you've all been busy.

Chris,

We may have to look further afield. I've put up all the BMD entries for Hallamore post-1901 and it looks like the last one, (up to 1946, in the Southend area was the birth of Frederick's son, Douglas, in 1915. He appears to have retained an Essex connection throughout his life. Frederick's sister and parents are turning up in Croydon from 1917 onwards, when his father died. There are also outcrops of the name in Lewisham, Bromley and Hackney. I'll put together a family tree or two and see where it leads.

Kevin,

Thanks for double-checking for me and searching Sutton Road. It looks like you may have a friend for life.

John,

I'll drop Terry a line later to make sure I'm not doubling up.

And congratulations on the book.

Phil

Sorry, Chris, simply used the cemetery drop down list in Geoffs Search Engine and checked the various combinations of surname, Service Numbers and Units....

Used to live in Southend, so know of St Johns and North Road, but too small to feature in GSE...

Just a thought, but would a death from TB be permitted to travel by train etc from Hither Green to Southend, or be buried nearer to Hither Green?

No problems Kevin; just got myself very excited to think that someone had got access to Southend burial records.

Have asked Lewisham for a grave search; failing that I shall try Croydon

Chris

Now at Lewisham so am trying Croydon

The address shown in 1912 for FJ is "Trevose" Woodfield Road, near Belfairs Park... his father? Richard is in Baxter Avenue.

Father seems to have been a bank manager in 1901 Census, FJ as a bank clerk. Perhaps father (and son?) moved to a bank in Southend, then retired and stayed in Southend.

1891 Census is wrongly shown as HallamAre....

If he was brought back for burial and doesn't show in CWGC records at Sutton Road, then either North Road as near Baxter Ave, or the North Leigh cemetery on London Road just opposite Flemming Avenue might be possible burial sites.... It's looking more like a Non Comm, though...

An Alfred Hallamore, toy dealer, (brother?) is shown at 9, The Broadway, High Street, Bromley in 1913, which might be yet another possibility.... sorry, seem to be widening, not narrowing, this for you!!!

Kevin

cheers for those pointers. Unfortunately the problem with Southend is that they will not answer my enquiries

Chris

If he does prove to be a definite non-commemoration I am happy to speak to Southend and explain his case and ask if I can visit to search the registers. It's an easy journey for me.

Regards

CGM

Cheers for that CGM; have you had any previous contact with them

Chris

Phil

Found him. Buried at Croydon Mitcham Road Cemetery

It is a family grave; buried with him are Richard (buried 10/09/1917) & Florence E (buried 01/04/1920).

Are you able to get there to take a picture of the grave?

Chris

Chris,

Well done. That's both his parents with him.

20 odd years ago I lived over that way. When I get my car back on the road I should be able to get over there one weekend. I'm not familiar with the cemetery, but I'm sure it has come up before, (probably one of your threads) and there is at least one member of the forum who is familiar with the layout, whose knowledge I can tap.

I've responded to your PM.

I've also contacted Terry and he has confirmed that Frederick is not on the IFCP books, so I'll send off for the DC.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

The DC arrived today and it looks like there is a good case:

Registration District: Lewisham

Sub-district: Lewisham in the County of London

Date of Death: Thirtieth July 1918

Place of Death: Park Hospital

Name: Frederick John Hallamore

Sex: Male

Occupation: of 126 Alexandria Road, Southend on Sea; of no occupation; Ex-Private Labour Battalion

Cause of Death: (i) Pulmonary Tuberculosis (ii) Laryngeal Tuberculosis. Certified by G. M. Thompson MB

Informant: A. R. Hallamore. Widow of deceased. 17, Northampton Road, Addiscombe, Surrey.

Date Registered: First August 1918

Registrar: Thomas Allan Belcham, Registrar

Phil

• 1 month later...

Phil

have you submitted this case yet; courtesy of Judy we have grave photos. Sadly no headstone

Chris

Hello Chris,

No I haven't submitted it yet. I've been waiting for a chance to get over to the cemetery. Unfortunately the hunt for Raymond Seaton Taylor's grave has taken up my limited spare time.

If you could pass me on some details, I'll put it together ASAP as both of my current oustanding cases have recently got MoD acceptance.

And a big thank you to Judy.

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

HALLAMORE, FREDERICK JOHN

Service No:411157

Date of Death:30/07/1918

Regiment/Service:Labour Corps

Grave ReferenceF2 Grave 9602

CemeteryCROYDON (MITCHAM ROAD) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Private Hallamore is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave.

Commemoration Moved From UK BOR

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Belated thanks on the update to Frederick's grave.

I'd lost notifications of this thread due to the upgrade and have just stumbled on it by accident. CWGC didn't update me either.

Phil