Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Jennings- escaped Bloody Sunday

corisande

I had never managed to make any progress with the British officer called Jennings, who appears to have escaped his executioners at the Eastwood Hotel, Lower Leeson St, Dublin on 21 Nov 1920.

Then I found this blurry photo in the IRA Intelligence book in Bureau Military History

jennings-jj.jpg

Afraid it is a photo of a blurry photo. It is not clear if it is "JJ Jennings" "TT" "JT" "TJ" because of the script used on the photo.

The most likely man is this chap T. J Jennings. You can see on that link what I have. I cannot find a JJ or TT Jennings. This chap was still serving in 1921.

Anyone help me to establish who "Jennings" who escaped death really was?

Hi,

This is from the Jan 1919 Army List

No.20368 was issued 12 Oct 1914 to someone enlisting into 13th Northumberland Fusiliers which is the nearest

I can find to 20390 so far.

Regards Mark

post-14045-037769300 1296681344.jpg

Thanks Mark

That is certainly him

I rather suspect that some of his records may be missing because of his Intelligence work. They always seem to be more difficult to trace even in LG than "normal" soldiers.

Hi,

This looks like his wedding & possible date of death

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005

Name: Thomas James Jennings

Birth Date: 25 Jan 1897

Death Registration Month/Year: 1976

Registration district: Greenwich

Inferred County: Greater London

Volume: 12

Page: 1266

Mark

post-14045-052089400 1296690521.jpg

Hi,

From the 1911 Census with the same Father's name as on the Wedding Cert and same DOB but born in Durham

Regards Mark

1911 census transcription details for: 7 Duke Street Staindrop Darlington

National Archive Reference:

RG14PN29783 RG78PN1723 RD548 SD1 ED10 SN115

Reg. District: Teesdale Sub District: Staindrop

Parish: Staindrop Enum. District: 10

Address: 7 Duke Street Staindrop Darlington

County: Durham

Name Relation Condition/Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where Born

JENNINGS, Robert Beadle Head Married M 43 1868 Estate Labourer Plantations Egglestone Durham

JENNINGS, Sarah Harriett Ann Wife Married F 39 1872 Staindrop Durham

JENNINGS, Thomas James Son Single M 15 1896 Staindrop Durham

JENNINGS, Charles Robert Son M 13 1898 Staindrop Durham

WILLANS, Elizabeth Ruddock Stepdaughter F 3 1908 Staindrop Durham

1901 Census

Looks like his Father remarried

1901 census transcription details for: Duke Street, Staindrop

National Archive Reference:

RG number: RG13 Piece: 4655 Folio: 114 Page: 9

Reg. District: Teesdale Sub District: Staindrop

Parish: Staindrop Enum. District: 10

Ecclesiastical District: Staindrop City/Municipal Borough:

Address: Duke Street, Staindrop

Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth Year Occupation ,Disability Where Born

JENNINGS, Robert Head Married M 34 1867 Estate Labourer General Eggleston Durham

JENNINGS, Marie Wife Married F 40 1861 Isle of Wight West Cowes Hertfordshire

CHAPMAN, Clara Step Daughter Single F 10 1891 Staindrop Durham

JENNINGS, Thomas Son Single M 5 1896 Staindrop Durham

JENNINGS, Charles Son Single M 3 1898 Staindrop Durham

COPELAND, Johnson Lodger Single M 72 1829 Estate Labourer General Retired Staindrop Durham

Thanks Mark

I will update the stuff on Jennings when I get my computer back!

The 13th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers was formed at Newcastle Sept 1914 and moved with the 62nd Brigade, 21st Division to billets in the Aylesbury area Nov 1914 then to Halton Park near Tring during May 1915 and then to Witley in August.1915.

Halton Park near Tring was owned by Alfred de Rothschild who had let it be known that he was eager to offer his estate to the War Office at the commencement of the War. The 21st (Yorkshire) Division moved to Halton Park, with Divisional headquarters at Aston Clinton House. The new camp soon became waterlogged, forcing the division into billets at a number of locations in the counties of Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire.

The No 20389 was issued 5 Sept 1914

Regards Mark

Hi,

This might be alternative birth details

Regards Mark

Civil Registration event: Birth

Name: JENNINGS, Thomas James

Registration District: Teesdale

Year of Registration:1895

Quarter of Registration:Jul-Aug-Sep

Volume No: 10A

Page No: 275

I have redone his page now on this link

This is certainly all the man on the MIC, as the address on the MIC matches the address on marriage cert , which in turn establishes his father, which ties with 1911 census.

What I have to do now is establish that this is the man that the IRA missed in Lower Leeson St, on Bloody Sunday, Nov 1920.

I have found a descendant of this man and have contacted them, whether I get a reply remains to be seen, but I am hopeful

Hi,

These are the Jenning's in the 'Supplement To The Quarterly Army List Jan 1919,

The 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) had moved from Sheffield 29 June 1920 to Collinstown Camp an uncompleted RAF camp close to Dublin. Three of their men had died as a result an IRA ambush on a party of soldiers collecting a bread ration from a bakery 20 Sept 1920 in Church Street Dublin. One of the IRA men, Kevin Barry, was arrested and later executed for his part in the ambush.

Maybe Jenning's was a target being an Officer with the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)?

Regards Mark

post-14045-030081700 1296934183.jpg

post-14045-058490300 1296934239.jpg

Mark

Thanks for the Army List extract. It certainly indicates that my man must be T J Jennings as there are no other possibilities for the IRA photo title.

I doubt that there is a connection with Kevin Barry, although this British Officer L'Amie was in DWR, and died of a gunshot on 6 Oct 1920 at Collinstown. L'Amie's death is quite odd, and may have been suicide. Up to this time the IRA do not seem to have carried out that sort of reprisal unless it was direct, ie neither Jennings nor L'Amie were at the bakery themselves (an NCO was in charge)

I have heard back from the contact now, who turns out to be this man's grandson. However he has nothing on the chap's service record. And will consult his father to see if he can get more. I think that I should be able to get a photo of the grandfather's wedding that should establish whether it is the man in the photo above.

One bit of info that the family had was that the man got the Russian Cross of St George for conspicuous gallantry. Does anyone know if this means that he was in Russian Expeditionary Force, or were these given on the western front too. I will try posing the question on the Russian front sub-forum as well.

This looks like him

Regards Mark

War Office,

15th February, 1917.

The following are among the Decorations and medals awarded by the Allied Powers at various1 dates to the British Forces for distinguished services; rendered during the course of the campaign: —

His Majesty the King has given unrestricted permission in all cases to wear the Decorations and medals in question.

Decorations and medals conferred by Field-Marshal

HIS IMPERIAL MAJESTY THE EMPEROR OF RUSSIA.

(September 12, 1916.)

LONDON GAZETTE, 15 FEBRUARY, 1917.

Cross of St. George, 3rd Class.

20390 Corporal (Lance-.Serjeant) Thomas James Jennings, Northumberland Fusiliers

The award was not made directly by Russia to the recipient as such. Each of the Allies allocated decorations to the other, and their award was actually made by the soldier's own monarch or government, from recommendations through the normal system. The recipient did not have to have had any contact or association with the Russian military forces, nor be anywhere near Russia at the time of earning the award.

LG Link

Thanks Mark

Makes it sound like "coming with the rations". We send the Russians a box of MMs and they send us a box of Cross of St George.

I never realised that it worked in that way with the Russians. With the Croix de Guerre one could see that the nations were fighting in proximity.

Hi,

Here are some details on the 21st Division taken from

'BRITISH 21ST INFANTRY DIVISION ON THE WESTERN FRONT 1914 - 1918 A CASE STUDY IN TACTICAL EVOLUTION by KATHRYN LOUISE SNOWDEN'

21st Division fought in every major British offensive on the Western Front from its ‘baptism of fire’ at Loos in the autumn of 1915. It was one of the first New Army Divisions to go into battle. The division entrained in France in early September 1915 and within three weeks it had been deployed as one of two reserve divisions at the battle of Loos.

Marching every day for a fortnight, the division arrived, exhausted and soaking, at La Buissiere at 6 a.m., and was given orders at 6.40 a.m. to advance into the battle area. The division suffered enormous casualties at Loos

In 1916 the 21st Division fought on the opening day of the Somme, and in the initial assault, on High Wood a fortnight later, at Flers-Courcelette in mid-September, and in three other minor assaults towards the end of the campaign.

In 1917 the 21st Division took part in the initial assault at Arras, its role was to ‘stand to’ at the extreme right of the line, as a pivot for the rest of the British assault. The division undertook two assaults in the Arras campaign, at the beginning and the end of May. It attacked three times during the campaign: at Polygon Wood at the end of September; at Broodseinde a week later; and in the Second Battle of Passchendaele at the end of October.

At Broodseinde on 4 Oct1917, the 12/13th Northumberland Fusiliers were taking very heavy casualties from machine-gun fire from its front and right flank. The Commanding Officer Lieutenant-Colonel S.H. Dix MC was killed while leading the remaining men of two companies up to the first objective. Captain G.B. Riddell, who was already wounded, took command and gave orders to consolidate the first objective. During the consolidation Captain Riddell was severely wounded, and the command of the Battalion passed to the Lewis Gun Officer, Lieutenant T. McKinnon, as all officers senior to him had become casualties. Only one officer remained with each company. The total advance by the 12/13th Northumberland Fusiliers was 1100 yards from the original front line, but at a terrible cost. Casualties suffered amongst the officers were seven killed and 12 wounded; with 44 killed and 320 wounded amongst the other ranks. Before midday on 4 Oct 1917, the 12/13th Northumberland Fusiliers had lost its commanding officer and all four company commanders.

By the summer of 1918, the 21st Division was fighting in the Third Army, and did not attack in the Hundred Days until the battle of Albert, nearly a fortnight after the opening assault at Amiens. The division distinguished itself in the initial attack, and on the night of the 23-24 August, undertook an important assault on Miraumont, whose capture was imperative to the advance of two different Corps. The 21st Division made an attack on 8 Oct against the Germans’ reserve system of defence, the Beaurevoir Line. The assault was to be made in three bounds, each in a different direction, pivoting on the second and third jumping-off points that were actually within the territory to be captured during the previous bounds.

Regards Mark

Mark. As always, I am grateful for your input.

When you look at that lot and put on top of it Jennings going to Ireland and surviving Bloody Sunday, the man led a charmed life.

Hi,

The 13th Northumberland Fusiliers was commanded for a short time while training in France in 1915 by Major Ivor Thord-Gray (April 17, 1878 - August 18, 1964)a Swedish adventurer and soldier.

Regards Mark

• 10 months later...
Guest Timjennings

I am another grandson of Thomas James Jennings. Born August 1896 (?) Married Dorothy Irene Vandy 1919 in Herne Hill London SE, later County Engineer of Kent, living at Willington Street Maidstone, widowed 1944, remarried 1952 (?), moved to South Africa as contracting civil engineer, divorced approx 1973, died Easter Saturday 1975 in Johannesburg. Russian medal and one other (DCM?), both sent back by family to regimental museum in Alnwick shortly after his death. I have a wedding photo, but the quality of the original photo here on the website is such that it could be almost anyone. See photograph below.

Welcome to the forum Tim, and thanks for the photo

I never claimed that the original photo was anything other than blurred, but I found it in an IRA intelligence book in Dublin, and it would have been good enough to get him shot, had they found him on Bloody Sunday. And it was from that photo that we were able to reconstruct much of who he was.

It is always difficult to follow Intelligence officers movements, as naturally they were obscured in the records

He resigned his commission in Nov 1919, but went back into Intelligence in what appears to be an unpublished commission and then he resigned that in Sept 1921

My current notes on him are here - click this link.

I would be very grateful if you can add anything, particularly about what he was doing in Ireland