Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where 2 stay in Somme, Arras, Ypres 4day trip

docchippy

I am taking my father to the battlefields in mid July. He knows litttle of the Great War but has shown an interest in a 4 day trip. I have proposed a quick whizz through the Somme to Arras and Vimy then upto Ypres. However could pals offer advice on accommodation in these 3 areas?

Doc

:)

Doc

There have been a number of threads on the Forum re. accomm. on the Somme & Ypres and many recomendations made.

Why not try a 'search' first and then come back if you can't find what you want.

Good luck ;)

I am taking my father to the battlefields in mid July. He knows litttle of the Great War but has shown an interest in a 4 day trip. I have proposed a quick whizz through the Somme to Arras and Vimy then upto Ypres. However could pals offer advice on accommodation in these 3 areas?

Doc

:)

Doc - for the Ypres part of your trip... - we stayed at Varlet Farm b&b at the end of May - I can't recommend this place highly enough. The landlady, Charlotte is lovely and welcomes you with home made apple pie and tea and in the morning there is a wonderful buffet breakfast. Charlotte's very knowledgeable about the area and lent us maps and books. Try this link

http://www.varletfarm.com

Hope this helps

Kate

I can endorse everything that Kate has said also if you rerquire a guide contact Kristof.

John

The two I know about on the Somme are Avril Williams' at Auchonvillers and Jackie Bedfords at Maillet.

For Ypres I have stayed at the Ariane, plus a B&B, whose name escapes me, some 5 kms from the town.

Try also the Holt's books for accommodation suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggest Ibis Hotel in Arras for the southern part of the trip; if you are looking for B&B on the battelfield itself, I recommend Julie Renshaw at Les Galets but she is often full

Avril's on the Somme is also very booked up but you can only try.

Good luck

and avoid the Citadel at Arras as a place to visit: a well-known location for car and vehicle break-ins by ethnic minorities who are quick as the speed of light, known to the police, and totally unscrupulous. As my party discovered to its cost.

Julie Renshaw much superior place to her sister's, Avril Williams, but much smaller, max 3 double rooms.

Avoid anglophobe Hotel Royal Picardie at Arras: large notices [in English only, note] tell you to take your boots off. No Baker Pals need telling about good manners.

We have been through this before, I have been treated well twice at Royal Picardie & food is great. The French who stay there are not nearly as likely to be battlefield visitors and have muddy boots.

And why is the race of the thieves important?

I know David is prejudiced against the Picardie, on the basis of his experience there and that Paul & I are prejudiced in favour on the basis of our experiences, but has anyone stayed there in, say, the last six months ago and can give an more up-to-date opinion than us middle-aged incesssants.

John

And why is the race of the thieves important?

thats a bit obvious ............. helps to spot them! Well known to [weary] police, who know / knew the gang [it was a few years ago] but can never nail them. It was the Police who gave me the ethnicity. 'Algerians', they said, that is an ethnic minority in most people's book.

I know David is prejudiced against the Picardie,

'Prejudice' contains an element of PRE JUDGEMENT, or it used to. My judgement was made during and after the events. But I shall never try to stay there again, and exercise my right to warn others. You may judge the depth of the afront in that I do not let the matter rest, as I gave the hotel plenty of room to apologise and not lose face.

I have nothing against the Picardie. I have stayed there as part of a tour and I found it as bland etc as any other hotel in the world of its' type.

BUT why stay at the Picardie, or indeed any other hotel in similar circumstances e.g the Ariane at Ypers when, for a few euros less, you can sink yourself in to a local WW1 atmosphere at one of the many B&B's local to the battlefields where you get a more personal service AND you may well be with similar enthusiasts such as yourself.

Point taken?

And please let us remember there are many French B&Bs (and indeed Belgian) on these battlefields where one can get such an experience as well...

As for the Royal Picardie, it was my understanding it was under new management now. Personally I have never had any problems with it, having placing several American clients there over the years who thought it first rate in terms of service, food and comfort.

Just like to add my voice to support for the Royal Picardie. I've found it an excellent place and the sign frankly is understandable given that at least half the people there when I was staying were battlefield visitors.

I also agree with Paul, check out the book B&B's in France to find some great French establishments. One I went to near Peronne was simply fantastic and one of the best meals I've ever had.

M

Thanks pals. It's to be Bernafay Wood B&B and Varlet farm. Small scale enterprises for short-term stays. I'll report back once i've got my dad through customs. He's not Algerian but doesn't travel out of Shropshire too well!

Neil

:D Bernafay Wood is a great choice. To wake up in a wood particulary if it is frosty outside is a great experience. The home made jam is great.

Listen in to KIRKY and docchippy, BERNAFY WOOD is special - enjoy your trip