Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MGC KOYLI MGC

Guest madbadrob

Guest madbadrob

Mt great Grandfathers medal card shows that he received two of the three available medals after the war and he is listed has having served in 2 different units. He served twice in the MGC and between the two KOYLI. Unfortunately his service record as not survived so I cannot find out any dates (that I am aware of) for his service but I would assume as he didnt get the Star that he had to have signed up after 1916. His usual occupation was coal Miner. My question is would he have been a part of a MGC attached to Koyli? If so does anyone have any dates and likely COY that would allow me to check the war diaries and thus find out more about his time during WW1. I know for sure he had to be serving in 1918 as he appears on the absent voters list. If it helps his MGC service number was 9407 and his KOYLI number was 25563

ROb

Hi Rob and [a long-awaited] welcome. It seems your GGF is Enoch Burns. Now that info is available I'm sure someone will come along and assist you. Have you checked on Anc**try if his Service records survived?

Guest madbadrob

Dianne,

Yes my grandfather is Enoch and I can't believe I didnt put that in my post. I have checked Ancestry for the service record and it is not available so I am under the belief that it was lost during WWII.

I have on three occasions contacted the KOYLI museum but as yet have never had a reply.

Rob