Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3RD AUSTRALIAN GENERAL HOSPITAL

achawk

I currently have very limited information concerning the location and operations (no pun intended!) of the 3rd AGH . It seems that my great-uncle Harold Burns was treated there after being gassed either in 1917 or 1918 .Can anyone shed some further light on this unit?

Mate,

The war diary is on the AWM webb site to check out.

But basicly the 3 AGH as at Abbeville for much of the war and took on casulties from the front.

The War diary is very short on details and does not cover single soldiers/patents names or what they suffered from, for that detail you sill have to read the soldiers service record.

Cheers

S.B

S.B.

Thanks for that info. I'll check it out and see what I can find there.

Marc

Marc

There is also a War Diary at Kew under WO95/4092 for the period Nov 1916 to Dec 1918. It may or may not have the same,or more,information than the copy in the AWM.

I found no other records for them,for instance,in MH106 there are a few Casualty Admission and Discharge Registers,but nothing shows for Australian units.

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate

Thaks for that information.

I've since located my great Uncle's service records, which indicate he was also sent to England for treatment and then returned back to the front in France. My dad believed that his uncle had been gassed, and I found some information that indicated the 3rd AGH was largely responsible for treating soldiers who had been afflicted by mustard gas attacks, but the service records show no reference to gas, just trenchfeet and german measles....and loss of pay for being caught gambling whilst on duty!

Marc