Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform

shutt

Wonder whether anyone can help identify this man`s regiment. One of my grandmothers "admirers", apparently !. Hope the picture uploads ok, I`m not too computer literate so don`t know if I`ll get it uploaded right.

post-40688-027245100 1296064448.jpg

Wonder whether anyone can help identify this man`s regiment. One of my grandmothers "admirers", apparently !. Hope the picture uploads ok, I`m not too computer literate so don`t know if I`ll get it uploaded right.

Hi,

If you could do a close up of his cap and the badge, then it should be possible to narrow down the unit--as it is it could be any of a number of similar shaped badges. It may help if you could also enlarge the badge on his left forearm.

Robert

We need a close up of the cap on his knee. So far it can be seen that he has a belt from the 1914 leather equipment issued mainly to the Service battalions of Kitchener recruited 'Armies'. He also has an economy pattern tunic which dates the pic as likely to be 1915-16.

Here are close ups of his cap and sleeve, hope they might help.

There's too much damage to the photo around the area of the badge to make anything out, but someone should be able to ID the badge in wreath on his left forearm, I would not like to venture a guess, as it is too indistinct. If you have, or can get a x20 glass of the kind used by stamp collectors, you might be able to make out more detail with your own eyes and then describe what you see.

I think I see a swoosh! It may well be Royal Artillery.

Taking another look with squinted eyes it looks as if it might be the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

post-599-096259900 1296147941.jpg

and standard version

post-599-048595800 1296148072.jpg

With a swoosh like that it couldn't be anything else!!:whistle:

On a more serious note, the Royal Warwickshire badge does look pretty similar, although others may have other ideas. Any ideas on the arm badge--Lewis Gunner??

By the way, thanks for the close ups Tom.

Robert

Looking again the shape of the badge it looks good for R.Warwicks, but comparing the size to that of his hand it looks far too big? For the arm badge, I don't think that Lewis Gunner is correct, as it appears to have a rose in the centre of a wreath?? could be a crown?? CSM?

Robert

Thanks for the interest and help everyone, sorry I could`nt get clearer images, but the original is a bit faded anyway.

Try looking with a powerful magnifier, if a glass plate photo (commonly are) then a lot of detail comes out unless it's badly damaged.

Beware the curse of the swoosh, but I go for Royal Warwickshire Regiment as well.

And I vote for Lewis Gunner also.