Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on RAMC Man Required

salientpoints

Hi Pals,

I am working on a war diary (it has been translated from pitman shorthand) of one William Ernest Livesey Fowler.

With minor gaps the diary covers the period from January 1st 1915 to June 28 1919. His diary states the period of military service was from January 1 1915 to May 20 1919 and he was in the Sanitary Section of the Royal Army Medical Corps.

I am looking for his service number and any other detail that may give more indepth background (I dont have full Ancestry access).

Also, if anyone has any information available on this section it may be a useful preface.

Regards

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

There is an MIC for a William Edward Lindsey Fowler, a Captain in the RAMC.

Went to France 7/5/1918.

Address: 45 bexley road, Erith, Kent

1924 Kelly's Directory, Bexley

William Edward Lindsey Fowler MRCS.Eng. LRCP.Lond, Surgeon, 45 Bexley Rd

post-8059-081685000 1296001526.jpg

as you can see he was a Surgeon and a Physician.

just realised. have i got the correct chap. William Edward Livsey Fowler? just about realised that post was about a William Ernest.

sorry if I have misled anyone.

Edited by susanhemmings

I had wondered if, like many, he was a medical student who was encouraged to interrupt his studies and join the RAMC. However, he seems to have been born in 1880, and been at St Barts in 1903.

He married Amita Beatrice Goddard in Camden, November 1910.

Hi all,

I too made the same mistake thinking as if often the case with handwriting that my chap was this Captain. Not so, the right person is indeed William Ernest Livesey Fowler. I guess he may not have used all his names so maybe a William Fowler is listed in RAMC?

He signed the diaries over to family at the age of 79 on February 24 1967 which means he was born in 1888?

Ryan

Became a civil servant (clerical) - or was promoted - in the Stationery Office in 1921 http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/32413/pages/6206. Goes with the shorthand I suppose. There's a birth registered in Kensington in 2nd quarter 1877 for William Ernest L Fowler which would fit the age given above, http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=u8yzUC14gg8vXQL5SOvU%2Fg&scan=1

Became a civil servant (clerical) - or was promoted - in the Stationery Office in 1921 http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/32413/pages/6206. Goes with the shorthand I suppose. There's a birth registered in Kensington in 2nd quarter 1877 for William Ernest L Fowler which would fit the age given above, http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=u8yzUC14gg8vXQL5SOvU%2Fg&scan=1

That looks like the right man! Now just need to see if anything exists on him in service records :)

Looked extensively on ancestry and sorry to say cannot find anything hopeful.

Susan

There's an MIC for 245 Pvt Ernest WL Fowler, RAMC

Date of entry: 6/3/15

Dismbodied 19/6/19 (a month out?)

Like virtually all my ancestors insisted on doing, he may have gone by his second name?

Well done - that is the most useful lead i have seen in the last hour.........

There's an MIC for 245 Pvt Ernest WL Fowler, RAMC

Dismbodied 19/6/19 (a month out?)

Like virtually all my ancestors insisted on doing, he may have gone by his second name?

Now that fits the bill I reckon very well!

Any other details?

Regards,

Ryan

I think you usually got a month's leave before demob, so that may well explain the fact the diary finishes a month earlier than the date on the card.

Now that fits the bill I reckon very well!

Any other details?

Regards,

Ryan

This is the chap thanks very much. According to his daughter he always called himself "Ernest" well done!

Shame there is no other information on his service, luck of the draw!

Ryan

Have you rechecked Ancestry for Ernest Fowler? So many service numebrs get missed off the index it's often worth looking just be name (so long as your man isn't called John Smith or similar).

Have you rechecked Ancestry for Ernest Fowler? So many service numebrs get missed off the index it's often worth looking just be name (so long as your man isn't called John Smith or similar).

I dont have a full account on this site at present :(

Local libraries normally have subscriptions.

• 1 month later...

Ok we have the man

245 Pvt Ernest WL Fowler, RAMC

Disembodied 19/6/19

A little from his diary follows:

April 1915 mentions he is engaged in sanitary supervision and work at the Trencher Camp of the M.R.E. the diary regularly mentions Baillial (Bailleul) so he must be in this area - maybe this helps?

June it looks like they move to Ypres -

Tuesday and Wednesday June 1st and 2nd

In the early part of the week, the rumour that we were soon to leave took definite shape and form. It is to be on Thursday and to a place called Ypres a place more dangerous than this.

Personally, I hope we dont move, but I have packed up my little bit of stuff to some extent. The water-cart is rather troublesome and shaky, and I have not succeeded in the water testing, nor have I been in the bombing. But the general camp arrangements seem to go smoothly. The incinerator under the care of a bold man goes splendidly and freed from that worry, I can go forward with the general work. I intend to ask the Sgt. Major if this man is permanently on the incinerator. Yesterday, there was an opera concert party over here. It was certainly inviting and delightful to hear. All old English songs and jokes as I have many times listened to at the seaside. Had a snapshot of herself from Miss Hills today. It is some days since I had a letter from home.

Thursday June 3rd

An uneventful day, wrote a letter home. Was scolded by a Lt. Moore this afternoon because two of my men were not working. It has made me feel a bit rotten.

Friday June 4th

Felt rather rotten this morning but cheered up as the day progressed. I always feel better when things go in an orderly fashion and today, they have certainly done so. The weather is lovely. Strolled and read in the evening. The rumours proceed that we are going soon - perhaps to Ypres, a name which spells danger. Today, I think that more closely of the possibility of death. Well, After all, I am in Gods hands.

Does anyone have any pictures of RAMC Sanitary Section men at work at all? We have nothing but some odd photos of Ernest, nothing of which from the war.

Regards

Ryan