Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Prayers?

joanbelge

My daughter teaches History in a Church of England Comprehensive schoool. Every year they go to Flanders and with their school chaplain hold a service in one of the cemeteries they visit. My daughter has to lead an assembly to launch this years visit. She is keen to use a prayer that may have been written by a soldier in WW1.

Do any forum pals have any prayers they would be willing to share.

Many thanks Joan

Hi Joan, which I had more information for you as this is a topic which also interests me, I have heard of Anglican Churches having intercessions services specifically for those who were fighting in the Great War, but trying to work out what exact form this would take seems difficult.

In respect of prayers written by those in the Forces, the nearest I can think of would be 'A Christmas Prayer' by Cyril Winterbotham

http://www.firstworldwar.com/poetsandprose/mia_christmasprayer.htm

Regards

Thank you Michael its a start.....

Joan

Thank you Ken plenty to work on

Joan

Hallo I have come across very few prayers written especially during the First World War. At that time C of E chaplains would have been confined to using those prayers "established" for use that is those contained in the Book of Common Prayer, with which the men would have been familiar. This can be found here Book of Common Prayer

The RC chaplains would have been restricted to using the Roman Missal. I am sure that Non-conformist ministers would have had a freer choice of prayers.

There were of course regimental collects (prayers) the modern versions of which can be found here : Regimental Collects (click on Regimental collects in the left column)

For versions of Regimental collects used by regiments now disbanded you can contact the the Museum of Royal Army Chaplains here: Chaplains Museum

who I have found very helpful in the past.

Additionally the following offers some very simple and excellent services for use at a cemetery or memorial Remembrance

Click on Remembrance and then he fourth service in the list would be appropriate.

I realise that this isn't exactly what you sought but I trust that there is some information here that may assist your daughter to conduct an appropriate remembrance with the children. As I say I have rarely come across other prayers but will have a look through some references over the next few days and see if I can come up with any.

Thank you Keith I appreciate your efforts

Joan

Having thought about it a bit more perhaps some of the poems of Rev Studdert Kennedy may be of use. There are two good little books, a short biography with some poems "A Fiery Glow in the Darkness" by Michael Grundy ISBN 1872962 513, and a book of his poems "The Unutterable Beauty" ISBN 1846851106.

As I am sure you are aware Studdert Kennedy was a chaplain whose nickname was Woodbine Willy and who was awarded an MC for his bravery in action.

]

My daughter teaches History in a Church of England Comprehensive schoool. Every year they go to Flanders and with their school chaplain hold a service in one of the cemeteries they visit. My daughter has to lead an assembly to launch this years visit. She is keen to use a prayer that may have been written by a soldier in WW1.

Do any forum pals have any prayers they would be willing to share.

Many thanks Joan

post-55705-028500200 1296022967.jpgpost-55705-019643700 1296023043.jpg

Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions, the Forum is indeed a wonderful thing

Best wishes Joan

Here is a glimpse of one: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa/document/9578/8340

You won't be able to see much inside, though.

Here is one you can look through completely. It is from 1941, but I'll bet real folding money that some of the prayers inside were from an earlier version. Take a look and see if something fits.

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/1928/S&S_index.htm