Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Donkeyman William Ryan from Cork

seanryan

Hi SeanK,

You might be interested in these notices from 'The Cork Examiner'

RYAN – (Cork Examiner 17/5/1918) – Drowned at sea, May 12th, 1918, William (Donkeyman, SS Inniscarra), the youngest and dearly-beloved son of the late Hugh Ryan, Stationmaster, Cobh Junction, Co. Cork. Deeply regretted by his heartbroken mother, brothers, sisters, and a large circle of friends. …..

(Cork Examiner 12/5/1919) – FIRST ANNIVERSARY - In loving memory of William Ryan, 7 Magnolia Terrace, Mahony’s Avenue, Cork, drowned at sea on SS Inniscarra, May 12th, 1918 ….. (Inserted by his loving mother, brothers and sisters)

‘Deep in our sorrow-stricken hearts for aye

His fondly treasur’d memory shall abide,

While sadly we recall the fatal day

When by the wave our lov’d one nobly died,

The billows o’er his lifeless form may close

No deadly power could his soul enchain –

May his immortal spirit find repose

In realms where bliss and love celestial reign.’

jpc

I cannot thank you enough for this. I have not seen them before and could not come up with any of the family death notices. I have access to the other newspapers but not the Cork Examiner.

The history of William (who was Grandfather's brother) was not known to me or my family. I come from a Kerry and Galway branch of the family and it was only last year I traced William. There are still relatives in Cork in the old family home who have his Widows Penny.

Thank you again jpc

Sean

• 1 year later...

David Underdown wrote 25 Jan 2011

Sean,

Do you know any more about him? 26 men of the mercantile marine named William Ryan qualified for war medals http://www.nationala...=1&mediaarray=* of these, with the information from CWGC that his parents lived in Cork and he was 38, the most likely candidate would appear to be http://www.nationala...Edoc_Id=8525877 born Waterford 1879.

David, I did not pay enough attention to your advice and only looked up the Waterford William Ryan who was not the correct person.

I have now come accross my William Ryan on your full list. Glounthaune (where he was actually born) was misspelt and his date of birth was inverted to 1897 instead of 1879.

I have now got the details from National Archives (with these errors).

It shows William's mother receiving the Mercantile Marine Medal and the British Medal on his behalf on 11 April 1922.

Thank you for your help David

Sean

Three of William's brothers served as Sergeants in the Royal Irish Constabulary. His sister Lil (Elizabeth) married John Hickman who was a Private in the Ist Gordon Highlanders based in Cork at the time. John was a POW in Sennelgger.from 1914 to 1918.

One of John Hickman and Elizabeth Ryan's son, Hugh Hickman, became a Major in the Royal Corps of Signals. He was awarded the MBE.

A TV programme in 2007 featured the voice of John Hickman from recordings made while a POW in Germany.

Ian (MedalHunter) posted the following in 2004.

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:16 PM

Hi All,

Merchant seamen will be found on CWGC website. I looked up a William Ryan who's Mercantile Marine medal I have. He was a 'Donkeyman' and died 12/05/1918 aged 38. Unit/ship given as S.S. "Inniscarra" (Cork). Unfortunately that's as far as I got with him as I don't live near London and most of the records.

Can anyone help with the ship details? Was the ship sunk?

Can anyone inform me where and when these medals go on sale? I would be very interested in purchasing William Ryan's Mercantile Marine Medal

Sean

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if Captain P.F. Kelly and Captain Patrick Kelly, both of whom worked for the Cork Steam Packet Company during WW1, are the same man?

P.F. Kelly was captain of the ss Inniscarra and ss Bandon when they sank.

Patrick Kelly was captain of the ss Ousel, ss Dotterel, and ss Vanellus when they were bombed, mined or suffered collisions.

Captain Patrick Kelly was from Drogheda. Born in late 1855 or early1856. I can provide his captain's ticket number if that helps.

Many thanks,

Jody

• 3 months later...

Jody

These may be able to help, they have records of the City of Cork Steam Packet Company

Sean

Cork City & County Archives

Seamus Murphy Building,

Great William O'Brien Street,

Blackpool,

Cork.

Tel: 021- 4505876

email: archivist@corkcity.ie