Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/7th Kings - Riencourt & Lille Liberation

medwar58

Does anyone have any information on the 2/7 KLR's actions around Riencourt and the Liberation of Lille on the 17th October 1918. Looking to try and find a book/website with any photographs, maps, accounts etc as to what was going on.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, the Battalion War Diary will provide the best information. I don't think it is yet available online, but will be held at the National Archives, Kew.

Another source would be the Regimental History, by Wyrall, but as that covers well over 20 battalions it is likely to be light on detail.

What date were the actions around Riencourt that you are looking for? Was it 28th September, 1918?

Ken

Mike,

I have an interest in 2/7th KLR, as my other 'arfs maternal Grandfather was a Private in the battalion, fought through 2nd Passchendaele and was injured in June 1918 and then again on September 29th 1918.

There is some worthwhile material out there covering both Riencourt (Battle of Drocourt - Queant) and the subsequent activities.

I thoroughly recommend that you read Vol III of Wyrall's History of the Kings Regiment (Liverpool), which references Drocourt - Queant starting at P 675, (he indexes all the King's bns, so it's easy to find the 2/7th) and also;

Wurtzburg's 'History of the 2/6th (Rifle) battalion "The King's" (Liverpool Regiment) 1914 - 1919' p. 207 onwards.

The latter, whilst not a work about the 2/7th, was a battalion also in the 171st Brigade. the fought the same battles right through the war and Wurtzburg makes frequent references to the 2/7th. His book is a good account of the life of this bn.

PM me for maps and photos and I'll have a look for you later today.

Simon.

Ken,

September 2nd and subsequent I would have thought for Riencourt. Their (57th Division) manoeuvre, capturing Hendecourt & Riencourt, opened up the Drocourt - Queant Switch for the Canadian assault.

On the 27th Sept the 2/7th crossed the Canal du Nord, to pass through the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, and on the 28th was around Anneux Chapelle, south of Bourlon Wood.

Simon.

Hi

Wyrall states that B Co 2/7 KLR were the first allied troops to reach Lille, establishing posts on the bridges over the Haute Deule Canal from Canteleu and around the Chapel by 11 am. There's also a photo of the Liverpool Irish entering the outskirts of Lille on the 18th.