Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th & 14th Royal Irish Rifles

EastSurrey

I am trying to help a lady discover more re.her Camberwell grandfather who died 19/6/1918 at Hamburg as a PoW.He was Rifleman Charles Henry Adams,b.25.12.1879.According to CWGC and'Soldiers'Died'he served in the Londons(6248)and the Royal Irish Rifles(13/43562).I couldn't find other records for him on'Ancestry.'He was serving with the 14th RIR when captured,date unknown.Curiously, much of his experience seems to mirror that of my greatuncle,R.F.Howship,who attested ,aged 18,on 9/12/15 and was mobilised to QVR 9th Londons as 6099 on 18/5/16.R.F.H. arrived France 24/10/16 and was soon sent to 13th RI Rifles,where he became 43638,serving until 10/17.On this basis,I expect C.H.A.had a fairly similar experience,but perhaps served longer with RIRifles.Can anyone throw any more light on this man,please?

Michael

Michael

Youy should read a page or two in the LLT if you haven't done so already ! Your subject may have been captured at the Cambrai series of battles around Nov 1917,when the 13 and 14 RIR were involved with 36 Division in these actions.

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat21.htm

Also,from the information shown on the RIR page of the LLT you will see that some amalgamations took place in Nov 1917 and some disbandments also in Feb 1918,all suggesting heavy casualties of one sort or another. Bearing in mind that the 13th didn't exist after November,and the 14th disbanded in Feb 1918 there is a fair chance that Cambrai was the time you seek.

Sotonmate

Michael

Youy should read a page or two in the LLT if you haven't done so already ! Your subject may have been captured at the Cambrai series of battles around Nov 1917,when the 13 and 14 RIR were involved with 36 Division in these actions.

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat21.htm

Also,from the information shown on the RIR page of the LLT you will see that some amalgamations took place in Nov 1917 and some disbandments also in Feb 1918,all suggesting heavy casualties of one sort or another. Bearing in mind that the 13th didn't exist after November,and the 14th disbanded in Feb 1918 there is a fair chance that Cambrai was the time you seek.

Sotonmate

Thanks,that's helpful.I did look at the 13th's war diary at TNA a year or so ago,,but not for late'17,as R.F.H.had gone home for officer training by then.

Michael