Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th Bn Highland Light Infantry 25 Aug 1917

dougscarratt@tiscali.co.uk

Hi All

Trying to find anything on the 18th Battalion Highland Light Infantry for the 25th August 1917 position etc.

Regards Doug

Hi

Battalion was in Gillemont Farm trenches, due south of The Knoll. At 4 am enemy bagan bombardment which became intense at 4.15pm and was made up of both artillery and trench mortar fire. Heavy losses were incurred and all Lewis guns damaged or destroyed. Enemy attacked the farm and was able to drive in the left flank and gain entry. Despite help from Doleful Post, a counter-attack was beaten off with heavy loss. The survivors eventually established a post in rear of the original front line. Casualties: 7 Officers and 153 OR's. All Stokes and Machine guns lost or damaged

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for that the chap I am researching is Private John William Matthews 41422

Died 25 August 1917 18th Bn Highland Light Infantry he's on our local memorial in Tunstall

Regards Doug

• 2 years later...

I am researching my cousin Richard James Wallace Ritchie who died 20th May 1918 Harponville Communal Cemetery. He was part of the 18th Btn Highland Light Infantry. His brother John Waugh Ritchie died 23rd April 1917 and is buried at Arras Memorial.