Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Railway locomotives on torpedoed ship wreck

NigelS

As always, very impressed by the depth and breadth of the knowledge of members on this Forum.

Tks Daniel, really enjoyed those links.

Regards, Peter

Keith (Rocdoc), was it you that showed some interest a year or two ago about some Russians soldiers buried down near Bellinglise, France? I have some photos now.

Indeed, the ship name in post one seems to have been no more than a Ablenkungsmanöver... :P

If there is interest it might be worthwhile to follow up with the originator of the thread on the diving forum I referenced to see if there is more info available about the unidentified wreck, including whether there are any pictures of the wreck available.

I'll poke around a bit more and see if any other nuggets are there for the finding.

-Daniel

EDIT: another WWII example:

The SS Pentridge Hall left the UK to Iran during World War 2 with a deck cargo of four Stanier 8F 2-8-0 locomotives. It ran into a severe storm in the Irish Sea and all the locomotives were cut loose and lost overboard. The ship returned to the UK and the other 8 locomotives were badly damaged, so much so that by the time they were ready to be shipped it was decided they were not needed so remained in Britain.

In total 23(of a total of 852 built) 8F 2-8-0s were lost at sea.

Others were lost on Berhala (torpedoed near freetown) & the Jessmore(collision near Ireland)

Lost Locomotives

A 1901 example:

The Numidia

And, the US Submarine that 'sank' a Japanese Train in WWII

USS Barb

Have always been fascinated by steam engines, also, I am fascinated by undersea wrecks, and especially submarine wrecks.

Being a non-swimmer (long story) I have never been able to get into scuba diving on wrecks. So, I must always marvel at the actions of others.

NigelS, spotting the locomotive boiler plate in the video was the first of the high points.

Daniel, interesting links once more.

Tks, Peter

Have always been fascinated by steam engines, also, I am fascinated by undersea wrecks, and especially submarine wrecks.

Being a non-swimmer (long story) I have never been able to get into scuba diving on wrecks. So, I must always marvel at the actions of others.

NigelS, spotting the locomotive boiler plate in the video was the first of the high points.

Daniel, interesting links once more.

Tks, Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks, glad you liked them. I have always had a passion for archaeology, lately with a bit of a maritime bent. Been trying to start taking scuba lessons but life just keeps getting in the way. In the meantime, if I can't dive wrecks, I'll content myself with researching them. :)

-Daniel