The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm looking for 44th BN CEF actions at Vimy 1917

combatrifleman

Hi,

I'm looking for definitive information concerning the actions of the 44th BN CEF in March and April of 1917. Family legend has it that grandpa was wounded there. Thanks in advance!

Lance

Hi Lance.

http://data4.collectionscanada.gc.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=44th&s13=&s12=&l=20&s9=RG9&s7=9-52&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect4=AND&Sect5=WARDPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FIND&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html&r=1&f=G

This is a link to the 44th's War Diaries.

Why don't you order your grandfather's service papers from the Canadian Archives? Thats the best way to get the bottom of the family legend.

Good luck.

ps. What was him name?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the link to the war diary! I actually sent for and got his service records 8 or 9 years ago, (they indicated GSW but the family legend was shrapnel) but am ashamed to say that I'm having a bit of difficulty locating them in my demolished dug out of a basement. Alfred Espinosa-he enlisted in 1916 with his two brothers in Winnipeg. A google search of his name + Vimy returns an interesting Ottawa CA newspaper story mentioning the three brothers. Thanks again for the assistance!

... they indicated GSW but the family legend was shrapnel ...

Wounds involving retained small projectiles were generally classified as GSW, as the foreign object was not always removed and identified (most often in the case of fatal wounds). GSW would certainly cover a wound caused by a shrapnel ball, but it might equally well be a bullet, a small shell or grenade fragment, or even something like a stone or a chunk of glass or a splinter of wood propelled by a shell explosion.

Hi All,

Thank you for the inspiration to venture into my ruined dugout of a basement to find my grandfather's documents. He was wounded on 5 MAY 1917 according to his records, but the war diary doesn't list any wounded on that date. He showed up at Edinburgh War Hospital on 12 MAY 17 with a "fairly septic" wound for 16 days and then again 6 months later to a hospital in Shorncliffe for what appears to be the same wound, unhealed. In the remarks column of his casualty forms I keep seeing "B.213; 10th C.I.B." Does this mean that he was in "B" Co.? And if so, what does "213" represent? I have some ideas from my own service, but would rather just hear from someone who knows for sure:) He was gone for 5 months rejoining the 44th in 1918. During that time he married his cousin from London (THAT explains a lot!) The oddest thing is that a couple days into a 10 day leave he was admitted to hospital in England --- on 11-11-18 with influenza, and discharged 66 days later!

Thanks again for all your assistance!

Lance

Oh,

One more thing, on 30 APR 17 the batallion was relieved and returned to "Support" and on 1 MAY 17 was "resting in quarries" according to the war diary. Does anyone have any idea where those might be? Pte Alfred Victor Espinosa was he.

Thanks again,

Lance

Hi Lance

The diary says that they went to support with the HQ established at S 8 c 95 20. I've marked the approx area with a green splodge.

I imagine that the rest of the Bn & the place known as 'the quarries' were around that neck of the woods too. Hope this helps.

post-33142-016852400 1295959696.jpg

B213 was the number of an army form known as a Field Return. It does not imply that he was with B Company. The Field Return was a unit's compilation of casualties and those joining the unit.

Just out of curiosity and because they write things back to front on the records, are you 100% certain that 5th May was the date he was wounded and not just the date it was noted on his service file?

In the diary one man is listed wounded on 1st May and 2 men on 3rd May. If he was any of these men then his record may read something like this:

5th May 17 ----- OC44th ------ GSW ----------- Field --------------- 1st May 17

5th May 17 ------OC44th -------GSW -----------Trenches ---------- 3rd May 17

Ulster, map reading looks like it was quite different back then! Is Section 8, being that the "8" on the map was in the center of a 4 grid section, and the "C" being the lower left grid of the section? That would appear to match the splotch you gave me:) Now a days it's 4,6 or 8 digit coordinates all read right and then up. :) The only referance I could find to the actual date of wounding was a notation of 3/5/17 in two spots. The first notation I could find regarding it was around the 11 or 12th of May when he reported to a hospital. I see the 2 other ranks accidentally wounded on 3 MAY, and it is possible he is one of them-from reading the war diary there was a fair amount of negligent discharges, grenades going off, etc...and maybe just some plain old jackassery!

Chris, thank you for the info on the Field Return form designation. Does anyone have a clue how I could find out what company he was in? Everything I can see in the records just lists 44th BN as his unit...

Thanks again for the assistance!

Lance