The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Soldiers cap badge

peter fox

An Aunt sent me the attached soldiers photograph which was inside a locket, mistakenly thinking it was my grandfather who was in the 9th Service Battalion of the Nott's and Derby regiment. It is definitely not my grandfather and the cap badge is different to his. Our family came from near Retford, Nottinghamshire so if he was another family member or family friend he may have been in an East Midlands regiment / battalion. I would be most grateful If anyone can help to identify the cap badge of the mystery soldier. Knowing his regiment or battalion may help us to identify who he really was.

Thank you in advance.

Peter Fox.

post-28629-097323500 1295801136.jpg

Thank you all very much indeed for identifying the soldiers corps and so quickly! and thanks also Andrew for giving me the ebay link to see what the badge looked like in detail. I can now see myself that, that is definately it. As I mentioned the photo is in a lovely locket, so it will be really good if we can now identify through the family who it belonged to and pass the locket on to the right person. I will post here if we can identify the soldier now we have this information.

Thank you once agin.

Best Regards.

Peter.

With the valuable information you all provided, regarding the unknown soldier in the photograph being in the the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, we have now been able to identify him. He was Sergeant William Henry Webster and he was the husband of my Great Aunt, my grandfathers sister. However very sadly I have also now been told that he was killed on Armistice day.

Anyway thank you for your help once again.

Peter.

Name: WEBSTER, WILLIAM HARRY

Initials: W H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Army Veterinary Corps

Secondary Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 23rd Bty. 24th Bde.

Date of Death: 05/11/1918

Service No: SE/10313

Awards: M M

Additional information: Son of William and Mary Webster, of Houston, Renfrewshire; husband of Rosa Emma Webster, of Babworth, Retford, Notts.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: X. B. 10.

Cemetery: TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE

As you can see his date of death is 05/11/18.

Gary.

Thank you Gary. Thats very helpful. Since posting yesterday had I decided to see if I could find Sergeant William Websters record on the ancestry web site and saw he died on Nov 5th. So it shows how family information passed on by word of mouth can get slightly distorted over time.

Anyway the information you have provided it a lot more comprehensive than I had found so is most appreciated. I am going to pass this on to my cousin who worked out the soldier must have been Sergeant William Webster.

Thanks once again.

Peter.

Name: WEBSTER, WILLIAM HARRY

Initials: W H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Army Veterinary Corps

Secondary Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 23rd Bty. 24th Bde.

Date of Death: 05/11/1918

Service No: SE/10313

Awards: M M

Additional information: Son of William and Mary Webster, of Houston, Renfrewshire; husband of Rosa Emma Webster, of Babworth, Retford, Notts.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: X. B. 10.

Cemetery: TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE

As you can see his date of death is 05/11/18.

Gary.