Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fricourt trench positions - 1st July 1916

paul@bolton

Hi all,

I would like to say a special "thank you" to Dave for posting the map with the overlay on it I have been trying for ages to find the exact location (Please forgive my ignorance, am I right to think the British forces are the red lines and the Germans held the wooded area?). My Grandfather served in Fricourt and was awarded the DCM on 20th October 1915 for helping rescue other brave men when a mine collapsed. I am going to Fricourt this April so I can take some photos for my mother, now I know where Trambour Du Clos is. Would any one like me to take any specific picture's of the area and post them?, if so please let me know and I will try my best to get them. My Grandfather W.P. Thurlow was in the 8th Battalion East Surrey Regiment for reference.

Many thanks once again.

Kind regards to you all.

Ian Richardson

Hi Ian,

Referring to Dave's map in post 15:

1) the red lines are the German trenches

2) the black lines are the British trenches

3) there are two 'Tambours'. The British Tambour is marked. The German Tambour is the salient within the German lines to the south and east of the British Tambour.

4) the red asterisks (for want of a better term) are the sites of mine explosions.

5) the area you refer to as 'the wooded area' is, I think, the area of bushes and scrub which is the undisturbed site of the three Tambour mines which were blown on the 1st July 1916 immediately prior to the attack by the 10th West Yorks from a position at and immediately north of the British Tambour in a westerly (mainly north westerly direction). You can see Fricourt New Military Cemetery on Dave's map. This is in what was no mans land.

6) The site of the Tambour mines (the area of scrub) is private property. The rest of the area is open farmland and is probably best seen from the cemetery (particularly if it's muddy!)

I recommend you read the articles in Stand To. One is mentioned earlier in this thread but there is also another specifically about mining activities in the Tambour Duclos.

Have a good trip in April.

Paul

Ian,

I should have also said that the 'Tambour Duclos' and the 'British Tambour' are one and the same.

The article 'The Fricourt-Tambour Duclos Sector on the Somme: its Organisation and Defence' is in 'Stand To' issue 88.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

the green Howards with 1ste Lincoln ( 62 Brig ) were not in the first wave to support against Fricourt from the west. They were sent as a counterattack - reinforcement unit !!

They went forward against one of the strongest german defence spot. Fricourt a strongpoint and the germans knew using their machine guns. The attacking force could not see or detect these positions , Mostly they were firing in the flank of a attacking force.

Already after 2 - 3 houres fight they got the order to consolidate . I thought they lost 65% in 2 houres fight

Just to clarify things in my own mind, which Green Howards battalion does this refer too ?? Is it the 7th or the A,C,and D companies of the 10th Green Howards??.

Pabbay