Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How long would you wait....?

Nick

How long would you be prepared to wait for a book after ordering it from a bookseller?

I'm current awaiting £70+ worth of Official Histories from NMP for an order that's now almost three months old (which I was originally told was "just a few days" delay). Of course, I have already paid.

On the phone today they tell me that they are still expecting to get the books in, but won't now even offer a delivery date. I'm not experienced such delays before. I get the feeling I am in for a long haul. Am I not being patient enough? Is this normal?

BTW, enquiries of other booksellers that are offering similar books on abebooks suggests that even when the book is listed, it doesn't mean they've got one.

How long would you be prepared to wait? I want the books!!

You would have a very good case for demanding your money back if they promised that they would be despatched shortly. It could be that they just do not have very good customer service in not keeping you updated if there is a significant delay in its publication and dissemination to bookshops, so wherever you go you might have to wait since they would be waiting on their suppliers.

If you cancelled your order, however, you might find equal or greater difficulty with any other seller, for all would be anxious to secure your order a.s.a.p. and you may just end up further down the list of waiting customers if you transferred your order.

Maybe just remember to not use their service again - perhaps send an email to this effect and they may give you a freebie: there is a lot of commercial pressure in this area.

Richard

I thought NMP didn't debit cards until product had been despatched.

Or perhaps you paid by cheque....

If they're Offy Hists, they are perhaps waiting for stock from Battery Press. From my own experience, some titles are offered, but the bookseller doesn't have stock. Stock is subsequently supplied, so either the printer/publisher holds stock, or prints it on demand.

I thought NMP didn't debit cards until product had been despatched.

Or perhaps you paid by cheque....

No, I paid by card.

I don't mind waiting, just so long as I am told that I'll have to wait, but being told every three weeks that the book should be here in three weeks is getting tiresome...

It's a good job I still have plenty of other reading to keep me busy

I'm also waiting for a book from NMP. History of 17th Division. My card was debited

about four weeks ago and still no book.

Must admit this is the first time I've had to wait this long.

Roger.

If I could get the book anywhere else I would tell em to stuff it, don't need to do business with people who can't do better than this.

I would certainly say that it's "money back time" if you've been waiting nearly three months. If you're happy to wait that's fine, but your money should be in your pocket in the meantime.

Tom

Mine arrived this morning :)

Hopefully yours will be with you soon.

Roger.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update those interested...

I am still awiting the texts. A promise to phone me back two days ago still hasn't been fulfilled.

Wish me luck, I'm off to try again!

Sigh!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tartan87terror

Nick, I would either copy/paste all these comments on this thread in an email to NMP, or invitethem to read this thread and to then post their comments on the situation!

I'm very surprised to read this. I've always found N&M to be exemplary in terms of service. I would persist in giving them a phone call.

One of the books I have been waiting on arrived this morning (16th August) , with the other apparently coming via airmail from the states so fingers crossed...

So the order still is not complete but to be fair I have been chasing NMP once a month since April just to keep up to date with whats happening. I have found the reasons plausible and in my last chase in July they did offer to refund the order without me prompting. This is the only order I've ever had problem with.

It hasn't put me off NMP (mind you, perhaps I should reserve judgement for when the remaining book arrives) but I am very sceptical about advertised delivery timescales.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I was interested in this thread as I had a book on order from N&M for 6 weeks. They took the money from my credit card immediately.

After 4 weeks I sent them an e-mail and was told my order was in the post.

After 6 weeks I received 2 books - the book I ordered and a free book (of great interest) with their compliments. I don't know why but assume it was because I am a first time customer. Either way I was very impressed and sent them a thank you note saying so.

So a big thumbs up from one satisfied customer anyway.

Regards

I've always found them very good, though as Greenwoodman has said OH's aren't always in stock. Mind you I did once have a very long wait for a trench map CD....

.....still awaiting the second book...if it's coming by air mail the bird must be knackered by now....

Thankfully I still have plenty of reading to keep me busy.

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hurrah, Hurrah. Got back from work yesterday to discover the long awaited book had arrived. Strike out the flags! It was a long haul - well over 6 months - but an initial flick through shows the book to be well worth the worth the wait.

Would I order from NMP again?

Well, yes actually, I would.

Would I order from NMP again?

Well, yes actually, I would.

I hope you enjoy the book after all that........ :ph34r: