Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SCOUT badge India

Muerrisch

come along now, you know this is a gripping subject, just concentrate ...........

What a cracking portfolio Grumpy. Thank you for posting it. I think I saw this badge in your book (?) but I did not know that it was for scouting. It is reminiscent of army cadet marksmanship badges.

What a cracking portfolio Grumpy. Thank you for posting it. I think I saw this badge in your book (?) but I did not know that it was for scouting. It is reminiscent of army cadet marksmanship badges.

The badge in my book had two lives: firstly as a VF marksmanship badge, endorsed by up to 3 of 4 pt stars above; later a CCF badge for similar skills. But this use in India ..... after the Indian government sanctioned an official badge, is yet another regimental eye-opener. I think we are now up to about 14 different scout badges, a good score for a badge that lasted 20 years at most.

HAVE SENT YOU A PM

The badge in my book had two lives: firstly as a VF marksmanship badge, endorsed by up to 3 of 4 pt stars above; later a CCF badge for similar skills. But this use in India ..... after the Indian government sanctioned an official badge, is yet another regimental eye-opener. I think we are now up to about 14 different scout badges, a good score for a badge that lasted 20 years at most.

HAVE SENT YOU A PM

Thanks for your reply, it is indeed fascinating that there were so many variations in the badge for this one skill. I don't think it was just CCF who wore that cadet variation though, I have seen it in ACF units as well, specifically in Kent and Surrey in the 1970s, although I do not know what the situation is now. I have answered your PM.

Thanks for your reply, it is indeed fascinating that there were so many variations in the badge for this one skill. I don't think it was just CCF who wore that cadet variation though, I have seen it in ACF units as well, specifically in Kent and Surrey in the 1970s, although I do not know what the situation is now. I have answered your PM.

Yes, actually I meant ACF! Not sure if CCFs used them off-hand.

Yes, actually I meant ACF! Not sure if CCFs used them off-hand.

CCF and ACF are both controlled under the Cadet Association, so I'm sure they followed suit with each other in terms of badges of rank and musketry. The only difference I know of is cap badges, where CCF often (but not always) wear a college badge and stable belts, likewise.