Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

~ Germans at La Basse-Ville ~

Wendy Macpherson

Hello!

That question is not too easy...  16th divison was right. But there were both! The prussian and the bavarian!

I attached two maps. The first shows the area July 30, 1917 an the second the same area from July 31 until September 19, 1917.

We see, both division come into question. They are so close, that both could fight the Kiwis.

30.7.1917:

30.7.17.jpg

31.7.-19.9.1917:

31.7.-19.9.17.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Thanks for the contribution sir. That helps, especially the maps. I will probably have a question or three about this when I take the time to look at the maps & consider things. Thanks, again. Cheers, Bryan Kyle in Taranaki, NZ

Hello Bryan!

Yes. Neus. is the german abbreviation for Neuseeland. (as the germans write it)

And can I ask for the reference for the maps, please?  In other words, where are the maps from?  Thanks, in anticipation.

PS - I will always ask for references ( if I can remember!), so don't be offended - its ...er......historical methodology.

Cheers & thanks, Bryan

Can I also ask, is it possible for the second map - 31.7.-19.9.1917: - to show a bit further north please? By early August, NZ 3rd Brigade had taken over from the 3rd Australian. A map showing a little further north would be handy, please.

PS - I have just joined the fedgrau-forum.  Thanks you very much for mentioning that. It may work out to be very helpful. Cheers, Bryan

And, great ! I have just been promoted !!!!!!   LOL

Hello Bryan!

I will answer this afternoon. I'm already at work...

Hello Bryan!

The maps are from the official german recordings.

"Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918", vol. 13:

https://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/resolver?urn=urn:nbn:at:AT-OOeLB-1155545

I attached the map with the british frontline July 31 - September 19

We didn´t have a special name for that battle. It belonged to the "Schlacht in Flandern" (Battle of Flanders)

There were three parts of that battle:

Part I: 27.5.-21.7.: Kampf um den Wytsschaetebogen und Vorbereitungskämpfe für die Sommerschlacht 1917 in Flandern (Battle for the Wytsschaete Arch and preparatory fights for the 1917 Summer Battle in Flanders)

Part II: 22.7.-17.9.): Sommerschlacht 1917 in Flandern (summer battle 1917 in Flanders)

Part III: 18.9.-3.12.: Herbstschlacht 1917 in Flandern (Autumn battle 1917 in Flanders)

Great you joined our forum! Hope you like it. English language is no problem!

Scannen0002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2019 at 16:26, Bryan Kyle said:

La Bassee is not the same as La Basse-ville - different location, different battle. 100% sure of that. 

Agreed! They are about 30 kilometres apart.  La Basse-Ville is a very small hamlet just outside Warneton, east of Messines, that back in the day had a sugar factory. La Bassee is east of Bethune.  However, I am reliably informed that there have been more than a couple of battlefield tourists who have come unstuck on this!