The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Regiment is this guy?

emz82

Hi,

I came across this guy in my Gt Grandads photos, but he doesn't appear to be Cheshire Regiment (all of the other pics are).

Which regiment is he? http://www.emzquem.co.uk/WW1_81.jpg

And what are the medals likely to be?

Many thanks,

Emily

Yes, he is a sergeant of the Royal Berkshire Regiment in his full dress tunic with dark blue collar (and cuffs) instead on the white of the Cheshire's. As stated his collar badge is a Chinese Dragon to mark the regiments action in the so-called Opium Wars. You can also see the brass titles on his shoulder strap.

I am not very knowledgeable concerning medals but I imagine one might be for Afghanistan (or some other Indian campaign) and another for South Africa. An expert will be able to confirm.

post-599-023454400 1295639660.jpg

The Medals are Queen's & Kings South Africa Medals with various Clasps

HB

and the titles and cap badge.

post-599-063681200 1295640299.jpg

post-599-036822000 1295640838.jpg

So this guy would have served in the Boer?

Also - is the sash indicative of any rank? Or do you think he is a pvt?

I did say in the first post Emily that he is a 'sergeant', although we cannot see his arm badge. Do I write too much? That is the rank that first starts to wear the sash and then that continues as far as warrant officer (at that time - various types of sergeant major). If he were a staff sergeant 1st class, or warrant officer he would have had more lace around his collar, so we know he is either a sergeant or colour sergeant.

Yes the sash indicates he was a Senior NCO....SGT or above.

Rgds

Tim

I did say in the first post Emily that he is a sergeant? That is the rank that first starts to wear the sash and then that continues as far as warrant officer (sergeant majors and quartermaster sergeants).

Sorry Frogsmile - its been a long day.

I've been racking my brains about how this chap and my Gt Grandfather knew one another and I think I may have cracked it and got his name.

If you are interested, my GG was orphaned and lived in a home in Cheshire. I knew of this letter - http://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/publications/waifs_and_strays/1899_l_30.html - from my GG in the Childrens Society magazine from a couple of years after he joined the Cheshires. However, on looking on the next page I found this - http://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/publications/waifs_and_strays/1899_l_31.html

It may not be the photographed guy, but he was in the home at the same time, joined the Berks and was in South Africa according to the letter. One can but hope - going to try and get a copy of the picture as you can't see him well enough on the website.

Cheers again

Sorry Frogsmile - its been a long day.

I've been racking my brains about how this chap and my Gt Grandfather knew one another and I think I may have cracked it and got his name.

If you are interested, my GG was orphaned and lived in a home in Cheshire. I knew of this letter - http://www.hiddenliv.../1899_l_30.html - from my GG in the Childrens Society magazine from a couple of years after he joined the Cheshires. However, on looking on the next page I found this - http://www.hiddenliv.../1899_l_31.html

It may not be the photographed guy, but he was in the home at the same time, joined the Berks and was in South Africa according to the letter. One can but hope - going to try and get a copy of the picture as you can't see him well enough on the website.

Cheers again

Yes, I am very interested and that fits perfectly as it states that his battalion of the Royal Berks was in South Africa. I notice that your GG was also able to play an instrument and that may also have been a link between them, as if both in their respective regimental bands they might have attended Kneller Hall for musical training at some point.

Emily

I can confirm he is a Royal Berkshire Regiment Sergeant. He would have served in the Boer War with the 2nd Battalion. I feel he was a bandsman at that time, but the image does not show enough insignia to indicate that he is a Band Sergeant at the time of the photograph. The 2nd Battalion remained in South Africa for a while later going to Egypt as they wre the overseas Battalion. Bandmaster DORE mentioned in the letter served in the Regiment for many years, taking part in the Battle of TOFREK in the Sudan in 1885. DORE retired in 1907. The sash confirms his rank as a Sergeant. My interest comes about because I deal with images for the Regimental Museum at Salisbury. Oyr website if you wish to visit is located at www.thewardrobe.org.uk once there go to THE COLLECTION. With that in mind can I have your permission to copy the image of the unknown (At this stage) sergeant and to place it into our Regimenatl Photographic archive.

Hope that helps

Cheers

MAC