Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

150th coy M.G.C. April 1917

brimacombe

Hi guys

Am now looking at the half dozen of my Holsworthy Boys who saw service (and died with) the MGC.

First on the list is

PTE JOHN THOMAS JORDAN 46072

150COY MGC.

KIA 23 APRIL 1917, aged 19.

Are there any MGC experts out there or any other forum members who can give me an idea of the circumstances surrounding his death?

I'll list the other MGC Casualties over the next few hours.

Thanks guys for all your invaluable help so far....

Regards

Shawn

• Admin

As you probably know Pte Jordan has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

In April 1917 150th Company of the MGC was attached to the 50th Division and were engaged in the 150th (York and Durham) Brigade See LLT http://www.1914-1918.net/bat18.htm

The link shows 23 April was designated the opening of the Second Battle of the Scarpe, part of the Arras Offensive, earlier in the month they had fought in the 1st Battle of the Scarpe and famously captured Wancourt Ridge. http://en.wikipedia...._of_Arras_(1917) On the 23rd April the British, including the 50th Division attacked from Wancourt towards the village of Guemappe, South of Arras but suffered heavy losses (for example the 4th Bn Yorkshire Regiment had 201 killed that day) 150th Coy lost 10 soldiers (say at least two teams?).

It can be difficult to pinpoint where the MGC were deployed, but at this stage of the war they would almost certainly been using Vickers from fixed positions in support of the infantry. In turn this would leave them vulnerable to counter battery fire from enemy artillery.

Ken