Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Julien 25th April 1915

pf23942

I have a copy of the war diary of the 1st Royal Warwicks as my Gt Gr Father died on the 25th April 1915 at or near St Julien. According to the regimental record the RWR attack started at 4:30am from a place called Vielje near St Julien but I cannot find any mention of this online.

Please can anyone supply more infomration on this assault, a map would be particularly useful.

For infomy Gt Gr Father was private (possibly l/cpl) 146 Leonard FORD.

Thanks in advance

Mike Downes

According to the regimental record the RWR attack started at 4:30am from a place called Vielje near St Julien but I cannot find any mention of this online.

Its Wieltje.

Dave

According to the excellent "St Julien" by Graham Keech (part of the Battleground Europe series): "The 1/Royal Warwickshire Regiment, with the 7/Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders supporting, were to attack Kitchener's Wood". I recommend you having a look at this book.

Kitchener's Wood is the large wood to the West (Left) of St Julien in this July 1915 trench map (courtesy of the TNA DVD from Naval and Military Press.

Roger

post-42671-038525700 1295615009.jpg

And another map (same source and date) showing St Julien, Kitchener's Wood and Wieltje in the bottom left hand corner. NB, German trenches as at JULY 1915.

Roger

post-42671-024446600 1295615896.jpg

Hi Roger

Thanks for the excellent maps, they help a lot to understand the situation at that time.

I've ordered myself a copy of the Graham Keech book thru Amazon.

Cheers

Mike

Stuff you probably know. Was a Lance Corporal. Age 28. On the Coventry Roll - born, enlisted, lived there. Reservist called up in 1914; was a tinsmith pre-war. Born 3.10.1886.Of the 216 killed that day he was one of the lucky 10% who have a known grave (New Irish Farm). The rest are commemorated on the Menin Gate.

I have 3180 words on the events of that day and a few more on the couple of days before. Send me a message with your proper e-mail address and I will send you a copy.

Mrs Ford of 26 Yardley street coventry would be grateful to any soldier who can give her any information respecting her husband Lnce Cpl L. W. Ford 146 D Coy in the royal Warwicks He was wounded in the fighting for hill 60 and since there has been no further news of him received by relatives. I have a rather good photo of him wearing a cap

Mrs Ford of 26 Yardley street coventry would be grateful to any soldier who can give her any information respecting her husband Lnce Cpl L. W. Ford 146 D Coy in the royal Warwicks He was wounded in the fighting for hill 60 and since there has been no further news of him received by relatives. I have a rather good photo of him wearing a cap

Hi

Thanks for your post, I have a copy of the article you mention. I believe it came from the Coventry Graphic. As you say the photo of Len in the cap is very good.

After the request was printed, Mrs Ford was contacted by a soldier from the Royal Warwicks who had witnessed the death of Len, a head injury he said.

Mike D

• 11 years later...
On 21/01/2011 at 12:17, pf23942 said:

I have a copy of the war diary of the 1st Royal Warwicks as my Gt Gr Father died on the 25th April 1915 at or near St Julien. According to the regimental record the RWR attack started at 4:30am from a place called Vielje near St Julien but I cannot find any mention of this online.

Please can anyone supply more infomration on this assault, a map would be particularly useful.

Thanks in advance

Mike Downes

My great great uncle died on this day on the Menin gate memorial 

james Roger bacon 1st battalion 

number 1840 

Just now, Adam 69 said:

My great great uncle died on this day on the Menin gate memorial 

james Roger bacon 1st battalion 

number 1840 

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 

On 21/01/2011 at 12:17, pf23942 said:

Thanks in advance

Mike Downes

How do you get the war diaries please 

On 21/01/2011 at 15:36, Alan Tucker said:

Stuff you probably know. Was a Lance Corporal. Age 28. On the Coventry Roll - born, enlisted, lived there. Reservist called up in 1914; was a tinsmith pre-war. Born 3.10.1886.Of the 216 killed that day he was one of the lucky 10% who have a known grave (New Irish Farm). The rest are commemorated on the Menin Gate.

I have 3180 words on the events of that day and a few more on the couple of days before. Send me a message with your proper e-mail address and I will send you a copy.

6 minutes ago, Adam 69 said:

My great great uncle 1840 James Roger bacon Kia 250415 

rwr 1st battalion 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. War diaries are currently free to download from the National Archives website after you register, but that’s also free. 

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-war-diaries-1914-1922/

I’ve also removed your email address from your posts, never a good idea to share information like that on a public forum.