The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank photo "Brigand"

docchippy

Pals

Please find attached photo of tank with "Brigand" painted on it at the rear. Appears to be in transit between places and does not appear to be conventional tank form. I know little of these things, but clearly no side sponsons and some from of top works and signalling apparatus on the roof. This came from a collection amomgst my Great Uncle's WW1 photos - he was demobbed in 1919, so I assume this is contmporary WW1. Any more info on this craft?

Many thanks

Doc

post-994-052782400 1295560781.jpg

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/tank_articles.htm

Various models outlined here.

Rgds

Tim D

But not the Medium C which the one in the OP is

post-9885-095626300 1295607647.jpg

In service until 1925 Was used on various "aiding the civil power" operations during periods of unrest - including Glasgow and Clydeside.

post-9885-037373500 1295607811.jpg

I wonder if the one in the OP (nice photo by the way) is engaged in this 'operation,.

Thanks gents. Certainly looks like a Medium Mark C. Maybe even one of those which took part in the Victory parade in 1919.

Doc

It doesn't look like - it is a Medium C. Its possible that it took part in the Victory parade but given that 48 were built it has to remain a 'maybe'

Doc, please ignore the seemingly rude comment in the previous post. You are right that it certainly looks like a Medium Mark C. Thank you very very much for taking the time to post the photograph!

Robert

Doc, please ignore the seemingly rude comment in the previous post. You are right that it certainly looks like a Medium Mark C. Thank you very very much for taking the time to post the photograph!

Robert

As did all Medium Cs

Why did you choose to personalise matters?

Evening all. My thanks to all those who find the time to contribute and offer an opinion-it's much appreciated. It is cleary a post armistice tank - which answers the question as far as my amateur interest is concerned.

Doc

It is cleary a post armistice tank -

Depends on definition. The photo is of the tank in a post war situation but it was designed and built during the war and crews were working up on them when the armistice came into force (rather like the Centurion tank in 1945) so that it just missed actually going into battle. Had the fighting continued into 1919 with a more fluid situation on the ground the 400 or so ordered would have been essential.

Thank you Doc for taking the time to post this photo. It is quite unusual in that I can think of no other photo of a Medium C showing a name painted on the hull rear. I went through the Medium C album at Bovington's archives only a few months ago and I'm pretty sure they don't have one.

I don't think that it was one of the four Medium Cs that took part in the 1919 Victory parade - I believe these carried the names Richmond, Dunfermline, Birmingham and Newcastle though I still need absolute confirmation of this so don't quote me. I suspect that this is a machine of 2nd RTC in the early 1920s, as 2nd RTC maintained the WW1 practice of using names starting with the battalion letter, i.e. in their case B. Their Medium Cs included Buckwheat and Blue Don. Brigand is a new Medium C name to me, but also a "traditional" tank name, there being two Mark IVs that carried this name during WW1.

Gwyn

Thanks all. If teh pic looks to be unique - maybe i'll scan the pic a little clearer and send to Tank museum to add to their collection.

Doc

Thanks all. If teh pic looks to be unique - maybe i'll scan the pic a little clearer and send to Tank museum to add to their collection.

Doc

I'm sure they would be very appreciative.

Gwyn