Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SE5

IJDALLINGER

We are in possesion of a photograph of an upturned SE5 Serial C 8711. Could anyone shed any light on it please. It may be here at Stow Maries or at Rochford. Any help would be gratefully received.

We are in possesion of a photograph of an upturned SE5 Serial C 8711. Could anyone shed any light on it please. It may be here at Stow Maries or at Rochford. Any help would be gratefully received.

It's an SE5a not an SE5

SE5a C8711. 39 Sqdn Stow Maries, overturned. 69 Sqdn Rochford. 1918/19. Source: The SE5 File. R Sturtivant and G Page. Air Britain Publication.

Thanks for this. 37 Squadron were at Stow, was this a Stow Maries Aircraft and later used at 69 Rochford? Did it overturn at Stow or Rochford? I am trying to pin down the photograph location. Does the publication make any of this clear? Thanks again.

The reason I asked for confirmation is that the book apparently states it was with 39 Squadron at Stow Maries. 39 Squadron were not stationed at Stow Maries as I stated above. Therefore I question the accuracy of the information in the publication. Thanks for the help.

Unless the incident took place during one of the 'Sports Days' held at Stow when other local Sqdns flew in ?

39 Sqdn were at North Weald?

Whilst 39 were not stationed at Stow Maries I note that they had a habit of dispersing their aircraft in small numbers (usually about 2 aircraft) around a number of other fields when a raid was thought possible (presumably to enhance their chance of having something in the right place). The accident might have happened during such a brief visitation?

Thanks Centurion and Moston. I take your points. Thank you.