The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German prisoner

carlos1

Hi,

Can anybody inform me of what should happen to a German soldier taken prisoner, taken back to the British side of the war line in the Western Front in WWI and died a few days later because of being very badly wounded. I guess that he would have kept his name unrevealed (although I am not sure). Where would he be buried?

Thanks

Carlos

If we assume he was taken to some kind of British Medical Facility and died there, he would have been buried in whatever cemetery the facility was using. Both Allied and Enemy casualties were usually buried in the same cemeteries. I have seen lots of "unknown German Soldier" stones in CWGC cemeteries, and most of them died while undergoing medical treatment or were found dead on the battlefield. Generally, however, most POWs did give their names-- once captured, that's not a big secret, and giving your name, rank, and serial number is required under the Geneva Conventions. Doc

Thanks Doc for your reply.

Does anybody know how to look for German soldiers buried in La Laiterie Cemetery (7 kms south Ypres) or in any other cemetery in the area?

Carlos

Hi

see previous links here-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=143551

link to CWGC on the cemetery-

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=9200&mode=1

And this is the German war graves commission, but you need to read Deutsch!-

http://www.volksbund.de/

regards

Robert

Welcome to the forum, Carlos. We would need the man's name in order to look for him on the VdK website. If he is buried in a named grave in a CWGC cemetery or in a civil or German military cemetery, he should be listed by VdK.

Thanks Robert,

I have tried the links, but I am a bit lost.

Does anyone know if there is any registered data with German officers buried in June 1917 buried in the Ypres area and condecorated with the Iron Cross? Sorry but, the name, surname, name of cemetery, etc, which would be the most easiest thing to start with, it's precisely what I do not know.

Thanks Robert,

I have tried the links, but I am a bit lost.

Does anyone know if there is any registered data with German officers buried in June 1917 buried in the Ypres area and condecorated with the Iron Cross? Sorry but, the name, surname, name of cemetery, etc, which would be the most easiest thing to start with, it's precisely what I do not know.

Do you know what unit/regiment he was with?

If you tell us everything you do know about this chap (assuming you have more than what you have already posted) that might help us determine what is the next step.

-Daniel

Hi Daniel,

This is the information I have:

The German officer I am looking for I think served in the 33rd Regiment (I think the name in German is Füsilier-Regiment Graf Roon (OstpreuBisches) Nr. 33).

I think that he was captured in a raid on the night of 4th June or on early morning on 5th June, 1917 at Petit Bois, in Wijtschate, near Ypres.

I also think that he was badly wounded at the time he was captured and I think he died a few days later in the British side of the war line.

I do not know if he is recorded in any registered grave.

He may be reported missing in action or taken prisoner on the 4/5th June, 1917.

The most important thing is that he was condecorated with the Iron Cross, which I know was the most important condecoration for German soldiers.

So, from all the data above, the only thing I am almost sure is that that he was a German officer, that he was captured on a raid on the night of 4th June or on early morning on 5th June, 1917 at Petit Bois, in Wijtschate, near Ypres, that he died a few days later and that he was condecorated with the Iron Cross.

Anyone can help to trace this German officer?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

OstpreuBisches

I'm afraid I can't help you with your officer who was decorated with the Iron Cross, Carlos, but I can help you with the character that you've typed as B. It is the German character ß (hold down the Alt key and type 225 on the numerical keypad at the right hand end of your keyboard), which can also be written as double 's' — so 'Ostpreussisches'.