Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st battalion north staffordshie regiment

micks

Hi all

I need the forums assistance regarding the 1st battalion the north staffordshire in 1914/15.

Firstly can anyone inform me of the commanding officer and their position in front of Armentieres

from the 10th -13th March 1915.

Secondly does anyone know the name of the commanding officer of the 17th infantry brigade.

Any help would be appeciated.

mick

Mick,

The C.O. of 17 Bde. was Col. (Temporary Brigadier General) G.M. Harper, D.S.O. (11 Feb., 1915 to 23 Sept., 1915).

The C.O. of 1 North Staffordshire was Lt. Col. V.W. de Falbe, D.S.O. (Mobilization to at least Oct., 1915, when 17 Bde. left 6 Div. for 24 Div.).

All from 'A Short History of the 6th Division".

Regards,

Dave

Mick,

Forgot to add this - 'a minor operation by the North Staffordshire Regiment on the 12th March, resulting in the inclusion in our line of the unsavoury Epinette Salient..........The minor operation at L 'Epinette was a very well-planned night affair, whereby the 17th Infantry Brigade advanced their line 200-300 yards on a frontage of half a mile. It was carried out by the 1st North Staffordshire Regiment and 12th Field Company, and Sir H. Smith-Dorrien (Army Commander), in congratulating the regiment, mentioned particularly Lieuts. Pope and Gordon for fine leading. But if there was no heavy fighting, the trench casualties from sniping and enemy shell-fire were quite considerable.......').

Someone else on the forum might have a map they could share showing the 'unsavoury' L' Epinette Salient?

Regards,

Dave

Map 36 NW 1:20k scale

In the 10k scale it's between 36NW2 and 36NW4, so I opted for the 20k scale which has it on one map.

The buildings in the top left corner are the south-eastern corner of Armentieres.

Simon.

post-47832-028841500 1295631586.jpg

Simon,

Thanks for the map, looks like the author was correct in identifying L' Epinette as 'unsavoury'.

Dave

Dave and Simon

Thanks for the information and maps.

it has filled in some important gaps in the research.

much appreciated.

Dave

one last question

would you know the approximate date that the 6th Division

begun their advance towards the objective of Lille and was it

St.Omer that they detrained from.

Once again a big thanks

Mick

Mick,

6 Division moved north from the Aisne starting on the 6th of October, detrained at St, Omer on the 10th and moved to Hazebrouck to cover the arrival of 4 Division. I think first contact was on the 13th when 17 and 18 Brigades captured Meteren and Bailleul, here http://www.archive.org/details/hist6thdivision00marduoft are a few more details.

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

But if there was no heavy fighting, the trench casualties from sniping and enemy shell-fire were quite considerable.......').

The minor operation was successfull, "Most of the casualties were caused by enemy fire after the objectives had been captured. Lieut.Gordon lost his leg as the result of his wound (accidental bursting of one of his own bombs) and subsequently Joined the R.F.C." (did he fly I wonder?)

"At about 4a.m. on the 12th, while the Commanding officer and Adjutant were going round the new position, a determined counter attack developed. It was repulsed with heavy loss to the enemy"

post-32503-073351100 1296595572.jpg

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the map, is it from the battalion history? By the way, the quote you refer to is not mine but from T.O. Marden in the 6th Division history.

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

Yes I appreciate the source of the quote, just used it as a referance. You are correct, the map is from the 1st & 2nd Bn history. There is about a page covering the dates you mentioned.

Alan