Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zillebeke defences 1918

bierlijn

This is a request for information on behalf of the owners of the farm shown as 'POST 1- I.23', on the map below. Clearly one of a ring of posts, in this case East of Zillebeke, and just west of Observatory Ridge.

The map shows an echelon shaped trenchwork around the farm building. The questions are when this (defensive?) work was dug, what a 'post' in this system actually consisted of, and which unit defended it in the German advance of 1918, and who captured it in the final advance in Flanders.

The farm owners are Belgian, and would also be interested in suggestions for a name for the farm appropriate to its WW1 surroundings!

Hugh

**The farm buildings at I.23 are under the '3'.

post-19252-060574400 1295464165.jpg

Rudkin House is the one named Birdkin House on the overlay. The buildings are not named on any map I have. Therefore the owners could have a choice. Maybe Plumers as it is next to the road named Plumers Drive and it is a good WW1 name!

Jim

Yes, I can see that it isn't a named farm on any trench maps. It would probably be better to look for a name in the unit which occupied the Post. The owners found Canadians wandering about on their property recently, who wanted to take photos. Maybe that's a clue, or maybe the visitors had just strayed down from the memorial.

Hugh

Fosse Farm or Maple Farm would appear to have some relevance to nearby names, especially if there's a Canadian connection. Antony

• 6 months later...

I have unearthed this old postcard. Rudkin/Birdkin House is marked by the asterisk. I have had to cut the original photograph down to get it to fit. if you would like a full size picture please pm me.

post-6480-0-50654100-1313338004.jpg

?

Hi Hugh,

didn't find any name accorded to farm

greetings,

Eddy

• 2 years later...

The postcard is a copy off aerial photograph marked on the photo is rudkin house, observation road and then after the junction observation ridge. With parts of Armagh wood.

This was printed in illustrated war news volume 1. It was followed on the next page by the same area after a bombardment. July 12 1916 pages 32 and 33.

• 2 years later...