The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help, Welsh Regiment.

petey

Hello all, searching for a private of the welsh regiment - labour corps.

Albert Edward Williams pte 47349 Welsh regiment march 1916.

Ill health or injury moved him to 7 cyclist battalion labour corp , pte 681446.

I have his medal card, just have no idea where he enlisted, the company or battalion he was in. He was born in mostyn flintshire wales and proberly was a volunteer at the age of 18.

Albert saw overseas service, just a bit stuck on theatre of war and which battalion or company he was in.

Meny thanks.

hi pete

might be worth having a look at the medal rolls this sometimes gives battalion etc , you will find the roll and page number on his MIC

regards dave

Meny thanks dave, can the medal rolls be viewed online? I seem to always have problems with the N.A. site ! [ proberly me ]! all the best.

Thanks Dave and Harry, No joy from the Brecon museum, they pointed me too the N.A. Like dave said ,the only clue now is the medal roll at the N.A.

Any other ideas online ? If not then kew it is , along with another 7 searches !

Meny thanks.

Hello again ! Albert enlisted on the first of march 1916, with the Welsh reg. He saw overseas action as a picture i have shows one blue service chevron, his m.i.c. shows the usual two medals but no theatre of war.

I have been told that the theatre of war entry mostly stoped after jan 1916.

Albert lived in flintshire, can any one take a guess which division he enlisted with ?

thanks pete.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Haveing been in touch with the Archives at Flintshire, there record shows the information as previously stated. One thing new, on the back of the record card it states "Welsh reg march 1 1916-- nov 1919 "

Was he serving in the 7th bn cyclists with the welsh reg from day one ?

Sent back to rest but still served with them as home defence.........hence the labour corp ?

Just a thought !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to member of the G.W.F site, i have seen the medal roll, no mention of his battalion.

After trying the museum ,local council, and the medal index /roll. I am a bit stuck !

Is it possable that he started in the 7th cyclist,s serveing with the welsh reg. Then after his illness , posted back but as home defence. ?

Any other ideas on how to find his battalion overseas ?

Thanks....Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

An update on my search.

Look,s like Albert was conscripted into the Welsh infantry, 4th 5th or 6th ,

Served in France, Flanders for a year then classed as unfit and sent home.

At home he joined the 7th cyclist corp as home defence untill the end of the war .

Still stuck on his overseas service, any ideas ?

Thanks.