Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SPR Alexander Thomas Willers 79TH Field Corps

notforgotten

Hello, I am looking into Alexander Thomas Willers, he was the husband of one of my ancestors.

He died of wounds on 25th July 1917.

I am wondering if anyone has any background information about what the Engineers would have been engaged in around the time Alexander was killed?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks.

bill

79 Field Company RE was one of the three Field Companies attached to 18 Division,which,at the time of his death,was in the area of Ypres just prior to the beginning of the series of Third Ypres (Passchendaele) Battles. I have notes for another RE unit, a Special Company, who had 18 Div as it's "customer" for targets for gas and oil projectile bombardments.Some of this was around Zillebeeke. You can find the precise activity in 79FCREs War Diary which is at Kew under WO95/2027. It is not yet digital so you will have to get it read,or see if anyone here has excerpts from it.

Your subject would seem to have died of wounds,as his burial place,Lijssenthoek,was where Medical units, from the nearby Remy Sidings,buried casualties who died under them.The pre-Battle period was a busy time for Artillery on both sides,shelling anything that moved,so it is likely that any attention brought to such as an RE working party would exact swift reaction.

Sotonmate

Bill

According to his service record he received his fatal wound on 21 July 1917 and lingered on until the 25th. The War Diary at the National Archives in WO 95/2027 will give you the day to day doings of the company.

TR

It may also be worth looking at the CRE (Commander Royal Engineers) war diary for the division, the one I've looked at (for 1 division) had quite detailed prgrammes of work day-by-day, maps and so on (I had to look at this as the field company war diary I was looking for seems not to exist any more). It may be that exactly the same is in the field company diary too, but I found it gave a good overall view of what the various different RE units were up to.

bill 1960

I have the pages you require from the War Diary WO95/2027,from June to early August 1917,so that you can get the story of some of Alexander's duties in his final weeks. PLease send an e-mail address by PM. There are seven pages.

Sotonmate

bill 1960

I have the pages you require from the War Diary WO95/2027,from June to early August 1917,so that you can get the story of some of Alexander's duties in his final weeks. PLease send an e-mail address by PM. There are seven pages.

Sotonmate

Thanks for that sotonmate, appreciated, have messaged you my email address.

Thanks very much.

Bill.