Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Question...

wizard2250

Could anyone tell if this is a P.O.W. group photo or simply a photo or soldiers recovering at a hospital. My Pop is in both and I assume it may be just a hospital shot as the backs are both marked 'With Love From Mike'.

thanks,

shawn

Seems I need a second post due to photo size. Sorry for gobbling up the bandwidth! :)

shawn

Edit: Hhmmm, seems two posts together by the same person are blended into one! Didn't know that! Excellant :thumbsup:

post-46808-046777300 1295385303.jpg

post-46808-042839600 1295385470.jpg

My guess is hospital. I do not see any fences and I am assuming the fellow with the lanyard still has a knife attached to it...?

-Daniel

The men look too smart to be PoWs in my view. None is in hospital blues, which probably rules out wounded in a UK hospital, but perhaps they were in France. They look content, not too war-ravaged.

What is the kit worn by the bandaged figure and the cut-off man in #1? French?

Best I can offer.

D

Looks like French soldiers included and nurse is typical for RC-run hospitaller nun. Great photos, Shawn. Antony

Thank You all for the comments so far. I'm glad my Aunt had kept these photos safe over the years.

Strangely, his service record shows Wandsworth in Dec. 1915 (no snow in photos). This was just after being transferred from a hospital in Malta (wounded Oct. 1915). There were two visits to Field Hospitals in France due to shell wounds in 1916. The only other hospital would be King Geo. in 1918 after being released as an 18 month P.O.W.

shawn

Thank You all for the comments so far. I'm glad my Aunt had kept these photos safe over the years.

Strangely, his service record shows Wandsworth in Dec. 1915 (no snow in photos). This was just after being transferred from a hospital in Malta (wounded Oct. 1915). There were two visits to Field Hospitals in France due to shell wounds in 1916. The only other hospital would be King Geo. in 1918 after being released as an 18 month P.O.W.

shawn

Which fellow is him?

Which fellow is him?

Second photo sitting Front Left. First photo standing at rear left.

shawn

Edit: My Dad is 72 and was born about 20-odd years after this picture. He's fairly sure on the ID!

shawn

I would have said rather too many leaves for December in Wandsworth! I definitely looks very summery whichever year it was

Ian

One thing I noticed about his service record is that he suffered from Typhoid fever in Suvla Bay. That was October 1915. His next appointment/attachment wasn't until July 1916 after the tragedy at Beaumont Hamel. If he was in Wandsworth or at a place for recovering from this, could it be that this is a U.K.-based hospital? Would he be out of commission for that long? Maybe someone with nursing attire knowledge could verify that it is indeed a French nurse or French dressing kits on the bandaged men. I know from other topics that hospital blues show up noticeably darker than a nurse's white uniform on old B&W photos which seems to be the same here. Thanks for all the information.

shawn

I am by far not an expert, but Typhoid can take quite a while to recover from. My GF got it and was in hospital more than 4 months before he was fit enough to return to duty.

-Daniel