Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Z2702 Denis F.W. Tanner, Rifle Bgde & R.West Kents

BottsGreys

I am looking into Denis Frank Winton Tanner who, as Private Z2702 Rifle Brigade, went to France 9 February, 1915 (per MIC). Based on the details provided in LLT, it appears that he was a member of either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Battalion. Would there be any way to tell which battalion based on his service number?

The LG (17 November, 1916) shows Tanner was then a "Cadet" and was attached to the Royal West Kent Regt. on 25 October 1916 as a temporary 2nd Lieut. Tanner was awarded an MC (gazetted

26 July, 1917) with the citation posted in the LG of 9 January, 1918. However, I haven't been able to find which battalion he was with. Any info/suggestions anyone might have regarding Tanner's service would, as always, be appreciated.

Chris

Chris

According to WO338 Index to Officers Long Number Service Papers, Denis Frank Winton TANNER was commissioned into the 8th Battalion RWK. It doesn't neccesarily mean he was with that battalion when he won his MC but it's somewhere to start.

His personnel papers survive and are available at NA, Kew under reference: WO 339/68583 TANNER D [1914-1922]

Regards

Steve

D.F.W. Tanner MC, is actually D.F.W. Tanner MC & bar.

His first MC was awarded circa July 1917 for being the first to enter an enemy trench during a patrol, and afterwards leading the patrol (or possibly a second patrol) to drive off an enemy rearguard of 20 men, thus being able to sned back valuable information.

The Bar was circa January 1918, when on his own initiative he led a sergeant and 2 men across NML at daybreak and made a successful and daring reconnaissance of the enemy trenches. Having achieved his objective he returned with his party under heavy rifle fire, one OR being badly wounded, 2/Lt Tanner, without regard for his own safety, stayed with the wounded man and assited in carrying him in.

I dont have his Bn recorded for either of this actions but assume it was the 8th. Have you searched for him in the 8 Bn History?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Edited: i would be interested to know of your interest in D.F.W. Tanner.

Steve & Jonathan, thanks for the information and your advice--greatly appreciated.

Steve, I will see about getting a researcher to copy his papers for me at Kew.

Jonathan, thanks for straightening out the details regarding Tanner's MC & Bar. I haven't checked the Eighth Battalion History. Would you know if it is easily available, such as an on-line book? I have just bought a real-photo postcard from April 1916 of Denis Tanner as an enlisted man in the Rifle Brigade, posed along with his brother, No. 1863 Pte. Clifford Tanner, RAMC. I'd be happy to send you a scan when I receive it.

Chris

Hi Chris - I will PM you my email address to take you up on your kind offer. I am always keen to see identified photographs of Royal West Kents.

I looked through the 8th Bn History and it has 3 or 4 references to Tanner, but the following are the substantial references and obviously relate (and date approximately the action) to his two Military Crosses:

By my calculations the 14/04/1917 Maroc (north of Arras):

The next day there was considerable speculation as to the meaning of this sudden artillery activity, and the possibility of an enemy withdrawal on our front was considered quite likely in view of the salient which had been created between Vimy Ridge and Loos by the Battle of Arras. Throughout the day the enemy continued to shoot at our aeroplanes with rifles and machine guns, and did a certain amount of shelling. In the after­noon news was received that it was considered probable that the Boche had retired. Patrols from the front-line companies were immediately sent out to investigate, and these found the enemy trenches unoccupied except for small parties evidently left behind to shoot at aero­planes and generally give the impression that the line was still held. The B Company patrol, under 2nd Lieut. G. S. L. Hayward, captured two prisoners of the 35th Fusilier Regiment, and the D Company patrol, under 2nd Lieut. D. F. W. Tanner, was engaged with and drove off an enemy rearguard.

29/07/1917 Front Line in the Reninghelst area.

At 4.20 a.m. on the 29th the enemy, seemingly looking upon it as a danger after his recent experience, blew up Job's Post. 2nd Lieut. Tanner took out a patrol in broad daylight, and in a very exposed position, to investigate what had happened, and showed great gallantry in getting back, under heavy fire, a man who was wounded in the open some way from our trench, and he was subsequently awarded a bar to his Military Cross. Sergt. E. Turner rendered great assistance, and was awarded the Military Medal.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hi Jonathan:

PM received--glad to help as you have so kindly assisted me. Thanks so much for posting the Tanner entries from the 8th Bn History. I appreciate you taking the time to look them up and then to type them out. Very interesting reading.

Chris