Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry

simonmax69

Hello, I'm new to the Forum and after researching as much as I possible can, I thought it was time that I saught the help of the experts. I am researching my Great Grandfather Pte 2312 James DENTON 1/6th Bn. DLI. Records show he was KIA on 14.07.16. I have been to Durham Records Office and looked at the War Diaries for the 6th Battalion. On the day it records an Officer and a few men probing forward and a shell landing in the trenches and killing 4 men, all Privates and it names them. It also states that these were the only casualties and Pte Denton is not among them. Anyone shed any light, my main reason is to have an accurate idea where he was when he fell as I intend to visit the area and the Menin Gate this year where he is listed as his body was not recovered / burried in the field. Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked the war diary entry for the 13th and 15th? He may have been killed in the hours near to the 14th, although I think it was a quiet period for 6 DLI then. He may have been killed whilst away from the battalion.

Have you checked to see if his service records have survived or if not, his medal roll?

The answers may be there.

Regards

Sean

S,

I did a search of SDGW and it gave 4 casualties for the date of 14/07/1916 as you mentioned, one of them being your Great Grandfather Pte James DENTON 2312.

The others are: Pte Joseph CORNS 4289, Pte Elijah LAUDER 3211 & Pte Albert Thomas STOKELD 1854.

I also searched 2 days either side of the date you gave and it still only gave the 4 casualties.

Something which may also be of interest to you. "Stand To!" the journal of the Western Front Association has an article about the 1/6th D.L.I concerning Pte Joseph ASHMORE 2149 and his time with the battalion up to his death in March 1916.

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

Hello Stuart,

Very grateful for your reply. Sorry for not replying and thanking you sooner, I've been away with work and also had terrible computer problems! Anyway, being all rather new to this, you'll have to enlighten me on what the SDGW stands for? Does this mean he was one of the four hit with the shell mentioned in my question, or are they just casualties of seperate incidents? I'm off to Ypres mid June!

Very grateful,

Simon

S,

I did a search of SDGW and it gave 4 casualties for the date of 14/07/1916 as you mentioned, one of them being your Great Grandfather Pte James DENTON 2312.

The others are: Pte Joseph CORNS 4289, Pte Elijah LAUDER 3211 & Pte Albert Thomas STOKELD 1854.

I also searched 2 days either side of the date you gave and it still only gave the 4 casualties.

Something which may also be of interest to you. "Stand To!" the journal of the Western Front Association has an article about the 1/6th D.L.I concerning Pte Joseph ASHMORE 2149 and his time with the battalion up to his death in March 1916.

Stuart.

Hello Sean,

Apologies for not responding sooner, work problems.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I've checked the whole before and after but no mention of other casualties. I presume not all casulaties were recorded in the Btn diaries, other than officers? Yes, I have looked for his records but they do not survive. His medal roll does, confirmong he was 6 DLI. Funny I can't find anything else out!!! PS. I'm off to Ypres in June.

Simon

Have you checked the war diary entry for the 13th and 15th? He may have been killed in the hours near to the 14th, although I think it was a quiet period for 6 DLI then. He may have been killed whilst away from the battalion.

Have you checked to see if his service records have survived or if not, his medal roll?

The answers may be there.

Regards

Sean

Scrap that! I'm learning slowly. Soldiers Died in the Great War!!! Got it! I'll see if those others are the one's mentioned in the diary as taking the hit from the shell on the day in question!!

Many thanks,

SIMON

S,

Stuart.