Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military prison Stirling Black Watch

madpinkflamingo

Hi

I have an ancestor Gilbert Smith McKay who wore the Black Watch tartan, but the family state that the majority of his War service was spent in a military prison nr Perth. He was born 1901, and originally thrown out for trying to enlist in 1916 for lying about his age, but alledgedly joined the Black Watch around 1918/19.

He said he was about to go to Russia to assist Kolchuk, but ended up in the military prison.

Two questions:

1) Ive looked at the lists of who sent soldiers to assist Kolchuk but the Black Watch arent listed ? (sorry, Im sure this should be on another thread)

2) Where would I find out more about his time in a military prison nr Perth ?

Ancestry.co.uk hasnt a record of his service or pension, and Ive no idea of his service number.

(I do find it hard to believe an ordinary lad from the tenements of Paisley would know anything about Kolchuk at that time)

Many many thanks

Pinky

An ordinary lad from Paisley would probably have been very well informed about the efforts of Kolchak during the Russian civil war. The anti-Bolshevik struggle was widely reported upon and workers in Scotland followed the matter with great interest. Try Scotland's People web-site for more info. Antony

Hi

I have an ancestor Gilbert Smith McKay who wore the Black Watch tartan, but the family state that the majority of his War service was spent in a military prison nr Perth. He was born 1901, and originally thrown out for trying to enlist in 1916 for lying about his age, but alledgedly joined the Black Watch around 1918/19.

He said he was about to go to Russia to assist Kolchuk, but ended up in the military prison.

Two questions:

1) Ive looked at the lists of who sent soldiers to assist Kolchuk but the Black Watch arent listed ? (sorry, Im sure this should be on another thread)

2) Where would I find out more about his time in a military prison nr Perth ?

Ancestry.co.uk hasnt a record of his service or pension, and Ive no idea of his service number.

(I do find it hard to believe an ordinary lad from the tenements of Paisley would know anything about Kolchuk at that time)

Many many thanks

Pinky

Hello Pinky

Military prison near Perth? Stirling Castle was a depot the same as Perth,I presume, but both would have a guard house for short term military prisoner,s up to 28 days.

Can you post a photo of your relative?

contact the Black Watch Museum at Perth, they may be able to help you.

Joe

From the Black Watch Forum

Was Cultybraggan at Comrie not used as a Military Prison/POW Camp?

I also believe that Bridge of Earn was used for something other than a Hospital.

Any members have knowledge of this?.

Also from a member of the BWF

My Grandfather was Black Watch during the Great War and he later went to North Russia sailing from Southampton and landing in Archangel. I to cant find any details of the Watch being in Russia. Any ideas ?????

Cultybraggan wasn't built until the 1940s. Perth Prison was notorious for rough treatment and certainly held suffragettes. Don't know about military. Stirling definitely had military prisoners. Antony

This Black Watch not being recorded in Russia business is very interesting. Seems like someone else had the same puzzle.

Joe - No photo taken at the time, but one many years later when he was old - no tartan sadly.

I think the BW museum may be my next port of call.

Many thanks

Pinky

Hi Pinky

You say your man wore the Black Watch Tartan and allegedly joined the Black Watch,so he may not have been in the Black Watch,if you are going on the Tartan he may have been in The Glasgow Highlanders (HLI)or The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders,it`s a pity there is no picture.

all the best Gary.