The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th HLI Peter Ducat

robertsim

I spent some time in the Mitchell Library last Friday looking through 1915 copies of the Glasgow Herald. I found a report of one of my Great Uncles death in a steel works accident and my eye was also drawn to the article above it. This reported that a private in the 9th HLI, Peter Ducat, had been arrested in connection with the shooting of his father, also Peter Ducat, who was wounded in the left lung. I've checked out Alec Weirs list of known Glasgow Highlanders and didn't find him listed there so am curious as to whether anyone else can shed some light.

When I get back to continue my research I shall keep an eye out for any other references.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob

You can probable tick off any overseas war service for Peter DUCAT as there is no Medal Index Card for him.Maybe he did "porridge" instead.

Sotonmate

Rob,

He is probably the Peter DUCKETT mentioned in the 1901 Scottish Census, born in Glasgow in about 1894. He was living with his father, Peter, who was born in Glasgow in about 1871, at 41 Queen Mary Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow.

Regards,

Alf McM

*If* he's the Peter DUCKETT Alf found in 1901 (father Peter, mother Maggie, sisters Maggie and Nelly, baby brother Stevenson), then he may have done a runner to Canada.

There's an attestation form on Ancestry - and probably that Canadian site I can never find! - for Peter DUCKETT joining 235th Bn CEF at Belleville, Ontario, on 8 Nov 1916, service number 1027468. He was born in Glasgow 4 Dec 1893, Labourer, NoK mother Mrs Margaret Duckett of 30 Lime St, South Side, Glasgow, previous military experience 5 months Gordon Highlanders [sic], Glasgow.

He survived the war and returned to Canada, sailing from Liverpool to Quebec aboard SS Melita on 11 July 1919. Final destination Kingston, Ontario. Returning Canadian, born Scotland, previously in Canada 1916/18.

Adrian

EDIT: On 3 September 1917 (mistranscribed 1907 on Ancestry!), Peter Lawson DUCKETT of Kingston Ont., age 23, Presbyterian, born Glasgow, Soldier, son of Peter DUCKETT and Margaret (nee SHIRRA), married Elizabeth PATTERSON, 25, Anglican, born Mayo, Ireland, Domestic, daughter of Thomas PATTERSON and Deborah (nee GREEN/?GREER), in Portsmouth Ont., intended place of residence Portsmouth Ont.

I did wonder about the spelling of his name, there are two Ducketts listed in Alec Weir's book but neither was a Peter and both were officers. Maybe the Herald also got his regiment wrong, although the attestation form Adrian found could possibly have meant Glasgow Highlanders and not Gordon?

Thanks for the replies anyhow gents, I'll keep an eye out for any other mentions in the papers when I get back to the Mitchell.

Rob