The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boezinge area July 1915 - Aeolian Farm

Roger H

For the life of me, I cannot find the location of Aeolian Farm somewhere in the Boezinge area. It must be east of the canal and somewhere on the 28NW2 St.Julien trench map, but can I find it?! Every other B****y farm is plain to see:w00t:

Can anyone give me a map reference and put me out of my misery?

Roger

For the life of me, I cannot find the location of Aeolian Farm somewhere in the Boezinge area. It must be east of the canal and somewhere on the 28NW2 St.Julien trench map, but can I find it?! Every other B****y farm is plain to see:w00t:

Can anyone give me a map reference and put me out of my misery?

Roger

28NW C8c 3:5 (or 2:5 dependant on which trenchmap edition is used)

Dave

(its spelled Eolian)

Dave

Many many thanks. Thanks to you, I have tracked down the building. It is not named on my Trench Map from the Naval and Military Press.

Roger

Here's a named extract, Roger.

From May 1916...

post-357-062949700 1295303915.jpg

...and (unnamed) on a July 1915 edition...

post-357-074500300 1295304371.jpg

Dave

Thanks for those extracts. A rhetorical question really - I wonder why some locations were named on some maps and not on others? Might it be because the locations had differing importance at different stages/months/years of campaigns?

Roger

Roger,

Not an answer to your question, but a pic instead. (I was and am very interested in the location in my village because I wrote an article about it a while ago, for our local history paper. The farm had a very typical and at the time modern 'windmill', in French : une éolienne, hence the name. The article however is in Dutch (Flemish), and not on the internet. There is a post war farm there now, actually no longer used as a farm, but nothing left of course of the "éolienne", which was not rebuilt after the war.)

Aurel

post-92-082194200 1295348143.jpg

Aurel

Those pictures are fantastic! Many thanks for posting.

Roger

A rhetorical question really - I wonder why some locations were named on some maps and not on others? Might it be because the locations had differing importance at different stages/months/years of campaigns?

I think its more to do with whatever information is contained on the actual base sheet used to print the respective map rather than anything else (or, dependant on scale, simply a 'space' issue). In the case of Eolian Farm, though, I've just checked a random selection of 10 or so differently dated trenchmaps (mainly the regular series British maps) and found that its actually named on every single one that I checked thats dated from September 1915 onwards...even on French and Belgian 1:10,000, 1:20,000 and 1:40,000 scale trenchmaps as depicted below...

dave

post-357-034205500 1295360135.jpg

post-357-047042000 1295360202.jpg

post-357-071838800 1295360263.jpg

Dave

Yes, I think you make a valid point. Just typical I was originally looking at a July 1915 map! And the fact that the war diary in question had got the spelling of the farm wrong didn't help matters! :angry2:

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Gilbert,

I am not sure if I understand. You mean if Aeolian Farm was either Boezinge, Pilkem or Langemark ?

Well, certainly not Langemark.

Boezinge or Pilkem ? Well, Pilkem is part (a hamlet) of Boezinge.

Is Aeolian Farm Pilkem Territory ? Don't know ... I have never seen a map with the boundaries of Pilkem.

All I can say is : Aeolian Farm is 2 km from the centre (village square and church) of Boezinge. And 1 km from the 'centre' of Pilkem.

Aurel

• 2 weeks later...

To Aurel,

Excellent answer !!!

I was trying to define as precisely as possible that (special type) mill (farm) !

Gilbert Deraedt