Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major William Francis Wormald 4th Hussars

Pavster1980

Hello all

I'm at it again looking for records for Abel Bishop, have now been in touch with people who tell me he was batman to William Francis Wormald. Major Wormald was latterly with the Yorkshire Hussars

Yeomanry, formerly Lieut. 4th Hussars and educated at Rugby then RMC Sandhurst. Anybody got any helpfu info?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Hello all

I'm at it again looking for records for Abel Bishop, have now been in touch with people who tell me he was batman to William Francis Wormald. Major Wormald was latterly with the Yorkshire Hussars

Yeomanry, formerly Lieut. 4th Hussars and educated at Rugby then RMC Sandhurst. Anybody got any helpfu info?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm not quite sure what sort of info you are looking for, but here is his entry from Kelly's Handbook 1928:

Wormald, William Francis, only son of Edmund Wormald, of Sawley Hall, Ripon and of Willerby Wold, Yorks (died 1886); born 1880; educated Rugby and RMC ; married 1902, Cecil Isabella J., eld. dau. of the late Georgr Low, of The Laws, Berwickshire; 1 s, 1 d; J.P. (1923) E.R.Yorks.; Lieut. late 4th Hussars, Maj.(ret) Yorkshire Hussars Yeo.; Lord of the Manor of Sawley. Cavalry Club. Willerby Wold, Ganton, Scarborough.

He seems to have retired from the 4th Hussars in 1907 and I am not sure if he served in either the Boer War or WW1, ie. Overseas.

Hope this helps, Robert

Rich

Surprisingly no service file in WO339,but there is a personal file in WO374/76888.

You might like to see the four MICs on Ancestry UK. Three of them are for him being Mentioned In Despatches (LG dates are on 20.10.1914 when with 12 Lancers/15.6.1916 when with 1 Dragoons and a Lt Colonel/and 11.12.1917).

The other MIC should be read also as it appears to have two officers on it,he as a Lt Col 12 Lancers and his brother (?) a Brig Gen.who was killed later in the war.

Sotonmate

Hi Rich,

I have just checked the Rugby School register and find that W.F.Wormald served with the 2/1st Yorkshire Hussars--which I think means that he did not serve overseas during WW1?

I cannot find an MIC for him although there is an entry for an SWB on Ancestry and the register also says MID--although a Silver War Badge and a Mention in Despatches can both relate to home service, I believe?

I think that the abscence of records for your GGU may be because he did not serve overseas but was employed as batman to Major Wormald in this country. Only supposition.

Any comments?

Robert

Rich

Surprisingly no service file in WO339,but there is a personal file in WO374/76888.

You might like to see the four MICs on Ancestry UK. Three of them are for him being Mentioned In Despatches (LG dates are on 20.10.1914 when with 12 Lancers/15.6.1916 when with 1 Dragoons and a Lt Colonel/and 11.12.1917).

The other MIC should be read also as it appears to have two officers on it,he as a Lt Col 12 Lancers and his brother (?) a Brig Gen.who was killed later in the war.

Sotonmate

Hi,

I think that these may relate to another officer? or is it me?

Robert

P.S. I think you have F.W.Wormald here?

Hey all

Thanks for the help, I have come across Major F.W. Wormald 7th Hussars and I dont think this is my man, he is mentioned in The Project Gutenberg EBook of South Africa and the Transvaal War, Vol. 2 in the staf of cavalry division

Robert

My mistake ! The WO374/76888 still shows it's for a WF WORMALD though.

Sotonmate

Robert

My mistake ! The WO374/76888 still shows it's for a WF WORMALD though.

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate,

This could well be the right man, as I believe Yeomanry were classed as Territorials. I expect that Rich will check this out?

Robert

Hi Sotonmate,

This could well be the right man, as I believe Yeomanry were classed as Territorials. I expect that Rich will check this out?

Robert

Looking in to it as I type this

Rich

• 2 years later...

Hello all and sorry for the two years it has been since my last post on the topic. I had not got any further in my research into Abel Bishop until now. I Have just come across some info as follows:

First Name: W.F.

Surname: Wormald

Nationality: British

Information: Late Lt 4 Hrs. (Acting Maj 9 Sept 1918).

Regiment: Regiment of Yeomanry, Yorkshire Hussars ( Alexandra Princess of Wale's Own)

Seniority Date: 01-Jun-16

Rich