Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"HMS Enchantress"

Guest vacha

I need help on trying to find out where I can get a crew list for the "Enchantress" my Frederick Cooke gave this as his address on his marriage cert in 1923, can anyone help me find out more about him, I know who he married and I know of his daughter Doreen, I need to find out a service number or a crew list.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Val :unsure:

Guest Northumberland

Val

I can't help with crew details but no doubt one of the old swabs can point you in the right direction.

However I found a photo on the web and the following interesting details, in case you weren't already aware:

She was an Admiralty Yacht that acted as a field hospital for officers

and with refernce pre- war: “Over the next few years Churchill was to take control of the Admiralty as First Lord, and proceeded to spearhead a naval arms race with the German Navy. He was to spend quite some time aboard the HMS Enchantress.”

“the First Sea Lord, Admiral Fisher, arrived in the Solent aboard the Admiralty yacht Enchantress” HMS Enchantress Log Book, WSC Comp. vol. II, pt. iii, pp. 1580-1

The later Vice Admiral Thomas Norman James, MVO took command 1910-08-02

and from King's College London , Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives

HAMILTON: 5/1/72 1913 Nov 8-1914 Jul 28

Correspondence between Hamilton and Rt Hon Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill MP, First Lord of the Admiralty, regarding a conference of naval officers Hamilton attended on board Admiralty yacht HMS ENCHANTRESS at Sheerness, Kent, 8 Nov 1913; the commissioning of seaplane bases at Gibraltar, Malta, Jamaica and Singapore, 2 Jan 1914-7 Mar 1914; Hamilton's remarks on a letter (enclosed) received by him from Lt Col Charles à Court Repington, relating to Repington's interview with German Col von Leipzig, a friend of Wilhem II, Kaiser of Germany, on the likelihood of war between Great Britain and Germany, 27-28 Jul 1914. 1 file, 7 letters (Letters of 27 and 28 Jul 1914 are photocopies, the originals of which are held by the Churchill Archives Centre, Cambridge)

regards

Charles

post-24-1088372812.jpg