The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching a soldier

chde100

Hi

Could anyone help me with details of Ernest Peel, my wife's Grandfather on her Mothers side. Born 08.06.18.93 in Nottingham Died 19.03.1970.

I would appreciate any WW1 info, Regiment etc.

Thank you in anticipation of help given

Steve Birkett

post-55376-024264700 1295255864.jpg

I have found seven medal cards for "E. Peel" in the Royal Artillery, and one for "Earnest Peel". Here is the earnest Peel one, but he may well be one of the other seven. Did he have a middle name? several of the cards have a middle initial.

William

Edited by Alan Curragh
MIC removed - against forum rules

I've had a look in the medal cards again, and the only artillery "E. Peel" is a duplicate of the "Earnest Peel" one I posted. The other five E. Peels each have middle initials. So if your chap was just "Earnest Peel" then we can be fairly sure that this is his medal card.

William

then we can be fairly sure that this is his medal card.

...of course that's assuming that he served overseas. The cap badge is certainly that of the artillery but there's little to say beit field, garrison or horse artillery. The 2nd photo shows Ernest and at least one other wearing what appear to be leg protectors or lace-up boots which may suggest a mounted roll, several of the group are wearing their Imperial Service brooch (given to TF soldiers who had volunteered to serve overseas) and there are several shoulder titles visible which may give us some unit details if we could see them in a higher resolution. It's far too late to be squinting but has Ernest seen some promotion in the 2nd photo? Are they Lance Bombardier stripes he's sporting?

cheers, Jon

Two very young (and short) officers in the middle. Appears to be his gun section perhaps (or a very depleted battery). Seems a lot of Signallers?

Rgds

Tim D

Me: .....So if your chap was just "Earnest Peel" then we can be fairly sure that this is his medal card.

Jon: ...of course that's assuming that he served overseas...

Yes, good point: what I really meant to say was that if indeed he does have a medal card, then I think that this one is the most likely of all the ones I found. The chap on the card seems to have shifted from Royal Garrison Artillery to Royal Engineers several times.

William

The Royal Engineers had overall responsibility for signalling during the war, given the apparent predominance of signallers in the photo, perhaps there might be a connection between that and his moves between RGA and RE? The medal roll might confirm this, if there is a signalling connection, it might tend to support the identification with that particular medal card. Photo maybe "passing out" after a signalling course?

Steve,

You will have to confirm that your Ernest Peel is the 52471 E Peel. If there are any place names on the photos, or any others you may have, may help. Did any letters or postcards pass down through the family?

Trying to determine a gunners military career from just the MICs and a couple of photos is very difficult, especially when there were mistakes made on the MICs, as is the case in this instance. If I were you I would go to http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm , and learn about the research basics.

If this is your man then I can tell you that he arrived at No. 1 Depot, Newhaven, between the 13th and 17th November 1914. He may have gone anywhere from here, but the most likely battery he may have joined, on formation, is the 22nd Heavy Battery. You will have to look at the medal rolls to see whether a unit has been recorded, by the REs, on the 1915 Star roll, or to see if any further information can be gleaned. If he did go out with the 22 Hvy Bty, then there are others on the forum who may help you will their war experiences.

Kevin

Quote, "The Royal Engineers had overall responsibility for signalling during the war..." . Glad I wasn't alive to tell a battery linesman/signaller that when he was told to go out and repair a line. Although plenty of RGA signallers transferred to the REs for their signalling skills I do not believe they ever relied on the REs because they "had overall responsibility".

Hi

I am awaiting further information and other photos from an Uncle of my wife's. Any that is relevant I will post.

Thank you so far for your help

Steve

Kev,

Maybe overall responsibility wasn't quite the right expression, but once out of the battalion/battery or equivalent, divisional/corps/army level signalling was teh responsibility of the RE Signal Comapnies - is that better?

I have received further photos and a document dated 13.11.18 that may help To abide by 100k ruling will do several posts

Any thoughts, comments etc

Steve

post-55376-077491700 1295526518.jpg

Group shot

post-55376-039348900 1295526639.jpg

The document main page

post-55376-021822100 1295526711.jpg

Ah, so he was commissioned into the Machine Gun Corps just after the armistice, which sends us down another path. The last photo may be of his officer training - I think the white hat bands are the mark of officer cadets? Intrestingly, the doorway behind has Sergeants Mess - Married Quarters written above it. He may not have served overseas during the qualifying period then, but hopefully, he may have an officer's service record surviving. It's possibly WO 374/53200, though the former reference doesn't seem to match the entry for him in the WO 338 index (PE/911, formerly 245008 whereas WO 374/53200 has 1163, but nothing else in the index matches this either).

This http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31006/supplements/13386 should be the announcement of his commission in the London Gazette, the date of the supplement agrees with the date on the commissioning parchment, though the text suggests his commission was actually dated 30 October 1918. Actually looking more closely, the inside of the parchment probably does say Thirtieth October, so it does stack up.

Doubt it adds much, but Elliott and Fry, Ltd were photographers with premises at 55-56 Baker Street, London W. Elementary, my dear Watson....

Is that of any help locating a unit or where the photo was taken?

Anything on the rear of the group Postcard? Appears to be a MAJ in command....so probably his battery.

Rgds

Tim

No, from the WO 338 index, if he has a surviving record, it will be in WO 374, not WO 339.

Per the index, the first file you've identified WO 339/62569 is that of Ernest Ethelston Peel, Grenadier Guards, Machine Guards and MGC, the second, WO 339/99870, is Edward Orrell Peel, RFC.

Anything on the rear of the group Postcard? Appears to be a MAJ in command....so probably his battery.

Rgds

Tim

No, nothing on the back of the post card

P/ references on WO338 usually refer to files not yet passed into the public domain (i.e. not at the National Archives, but still held by the MOD).

Not sure what significance the extra "E" in PE/ might have, though.

EDIT: There is an MIC for 177075 E Peel in the MGC that just states "Commissioned 30-10-1918" and "Officer Commanding Royal Horse and Royal Artillery forwards nominal roll of commissioned men 7-9-1920".

No medal entitlement shown.

Oddly, that MGC number is already taken by "Pennington Buckwell", so the MGC number may well be wrong!

Steve.

The PE/ indicates, I believe, that it's in the "vowel series" (so named as the reference begins with inital letter and first vowel of the surname) i.e. one of the two series that now form WO 374.