Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Special Reservists.

andrew pugh

Good Morning to you All.

I wonder if someone may know when the Army stopped sending Special Reservists especially Royal Fusiliers over to France and Belgium?did they continue to send them overseas thoughout the war, or were they sent over only in the early stages of the war.Hope someone can help me on this matter.

Best Regards Andy.

Hi, Special Reservists were mainly in 5th, 6th and 7th R Fus. The 7th were recalled (actually they were already on annual camp) on 4th August 1914. They were initially sent to Falmouth to guard the docks. Drafts were taken most of the time they were there, a number went to join 2nd Bn in the Dardanelles in June 1915, others would certainly have gone to France and Belgium. The whole Bn was moved to join Royal Naval Div in 1916. The 5th stayed in Dover having transferred from Hounslow, they were a draft unit for men joining or returning after wounds, or for Officers newly commissioned. The 6th moved to Carrickfergus but continued to send drafts. Presumably they worked through most of the Special Reserves at some point but without tracking individual numbers it would be difficult to say when.

David

Men could still enlist on Special Reserve terms, at least during the early part of te war. May have been changed by the introduction of conscription. Harry Jones for example, joined up as a special reservist in the Cheshire Regiment on 28 October 1914.

Hi David.

Thank you for your info My Gt Uncle Henry Morrell was a Special Reservist his service number was S/R 9571. He was sent as a draft of 28 Special Reservists to join the 1st Bn Royal Fusiliers and arrived in France on the 4/12/1914 and arrived in the trenches at Chapelle d Armentieres on the 7/12/1914.I think I have found a fellow draftee who arrived on the same day, A man called William Gillett. Pte S/R 9635.

Once again thank you and the other lads for your help.Dave would it be possible for you to P.M.me your telephone number as I would like to have a chat concerning Royal Fusiliers off line, Hope you dont mind me asking.

Best Regards Andy.

Hi Again.

OOps I meant Dave Carter.

Regards Andy.