Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6 batt.west yorks regt.

jwp2007

Recently purchased this postcard, the pencil written details on the back are, maj.gen.H.T.Allen,commander american forces in germany and gen.sir William robertson inspecting the guard of honour,1/6 batt.west yorks regt. looks like it may date from between march to october 1919 when the 1/6 were part of 2nd northern brigade baor,sir william robertson was commander in chief of baor from 1919-1920, if i have done my homework correctly !. the location is difficult to read but looks like dam platz,with the impressive buildings i was wondering if it may be in Cologne ?

regards,

John.

Recently purchased this postcard, the pencil written details on the back are, maj.gen.H.T.Allen,commander american forces in germany and gen.sir William robertson inspecting the guard of honour,1/6 batt.west yorks regt. looks like it may date from between march to october 1919 when the 1/6 were part of 2nd northern brigade baor,sir william robertson was commander in chief of baor from 1919-1920, if i have done my homework correctly !. the location is difficult to read but looks like dam platz,with the impressive buildings i was wondering if it may be in Cologne ?

regards,

John.

Hi John,

According to the 1/6th History the battalion was in Cologne and district from 26/2/19 to 13/11/19. They were also briefly in Dunwald and Hilgen, so I would think that your theory is correct, although I am not 100%. Certainly very impressive buildings--certainly not Bradford!!

Robert

Hi Robert,

many thanks for the speedy reply and the additional information,much appreciated,

kind regards,

john.

Hi Robert,

many thanks for the speedy reply and the additional information,much appreciated,

kind regards,

john.

Hi John,

I just googled Dam Platz and it came up with Amsterdam!!?

It almost looks like a cathedral on the immediate left?

Robert

Hi John,

I just googled Dam Platz and it came up with Amsterdam!!?

It almost looks like a cathedral on the immediate left?

Robert

just been googling too robert !, looks like it may be dom platz, which is german for cathedral square !,

john.

just been googling too robert !, looks like it may be dom platz, which is german for cathedral square !,

john.

Excellent. Mystery solved?

Robert

Excellent. Mystery solved?

Robert

I think it may be !, many thanks all for the very speedy help !,

kind regards and best wishes,

John.