Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of La Vasse near Armentieres

huwrevans

In Munbys history of the 38th (Welsh) Division he mentions that in April/May 1918 the Div Arty was left behind aroung Armentiers to cover 34 Div Infantry who had taken over fron 38 Div.

He states that two 4.5 howitzers of 121 Bde were lost to enemy arty in La Vessee on the 9th April and the Bde HQ was hit whilst locatedin La Rolanderie.

I can't find these places on modern maps. can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Huw

La Rolanderie (farm)is located near Erquinghem Lys and was used as 34th div hq in august 1916 and march 1918, and i believe Suffolk cemty is very close to the original farm.

Thanks both. Working mainly from google due to working away. Anyone got any trench maps of that time of point me somewhere online to look?

Regards Huw

Thanks both. Working mainly from google due to working away. Anyone got any trench maps of that time of point me somewhere online to look?

Regards Huw

I will dig one out for you.

La Rolanderie Farm (today) on Google Earth is at 50°40'8.61"N 2°51'14.49"E. I am afraid that I have not checked this against a trench map recently but seem to recall that the positions are pretty much the same.

It seems to have been used as billets by the 2/10th (Scottish) Bn, King's Liverpool Regiment (the 2nd Battalion of the Liverpool Scottish) in 1917 (amongst other units) as well as a Brigade HQ. I thought that I had a photo taken fairly soon after the end of WW1 but can't trace it at the moment. I will continue to look.

The Chairman of the Erquinghem Lys Museum committee (all volunteers) and guiding light of the Musée d'Ercan (Jack Thorpe - a splendid Frenchman who speaks good English) might be able to help with any further detail of La Rolanderie through these links here and here

Ian

Hi

There was a La Rolanderie Farm (H 11 c central) and a building further south named La Rolanderie (H 17 b 15.80) on a 1917 trench map. If the word 'Farm' wasn't used then it's likely to be the buildings in H 17. Mind you, if you were in Armentieres in 1917 and asked the way to L'Epinette, you would have received one of 2 possible answers: "Turn right and go straight on" or "Turn left and go straight on". Trouble is...both would have been correct!

Regards

Martin

• 1 year later...

Finally got round to buying the maps and overlayed a 1918 map onto Googlearth the show trench lines around La Vessee and La Rolanderie.

Just thught I'd post them to complete this topic

Regards

Huw

post-36906-0-88339100-1334415287.jpg

La Rolanderie was 500 mtrs SSE of La Rolanderie Farm as I pointed out. Did Mumby or the Divisional Artillery give co-ordinates?

No grids in Munby just -

"At 4:15 am on the 9th the enamy opened a very heavy bombardment on the whole front. The fire was particularly heavy on battery areas. 121st Brigade headquarters, at La Rolanderie, was shelled and hit, The orderly officer was killed and the MO wounded. Two 4.5" Howitzers, D 121st Brigade, in a forward position at La Vessee were destroyed."

Map from March 1918 shows a defensive trench at La Roladerie.

post-36906-0-71614500-1334501047.jpg

My map (1 : 20000) corrected to 24/9/17 when the front lines were 4000 mtrs away. Arriving at the correct location depends very much on the presence or absence of the word FARM; that's why I feel the more southerly location is the likely one that Mumby is referring to, otherwise confusion could have arisen.....which it has 95 years later :huh:

Yep thats what I was thinking. Though we may never know for definite.

The NA couldn't locate any diary pages for those date for 121 Bde, maybe not suprising if the HQ had been hit.

But if anyone knows any different...........................:thumbsup:

My map (1 : 20000) corrected to 24/9/17 when the front lines were 4000 mtrs away. Arriving at the correct location depends very much on the presence or absence of the word FARM; that's why I feel the more southerly location is the likely one that Mumby is referring to, otherwise confusion could have arisen.....which it has 95 years later :huh: