Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Am I reading this right

MACRAE

I purchsed a 14 Star and Victory medal today, the 14 Star is Pte S Chambers 4409 R.A.M.C. and the Victory to 4409 Act Corporal S Chambers R.A.M.C. I looked at his MIC on ancestry and he is also listed as 2nd Lt in the Liverpool Regiment , if I have read this correct, also his OC returned the star for replacement ?, and the medals look like they have been claimed by his widow?. Has he been KIA he is not listed on the CWGC as killed in Action and is he or rather was he a officer .

Have I read this correct.

Dan

NA Link

Dan....It appears he was Commissioned [& Promoted to Captain at the time of his death] but as the AVM is named up as A/Cpl; not to serve Overseas in theatre as such,so he was commissioned & then served in UK until released. It is probable as his awards were claimed by NoK that he died of non War related causes** See Link To CWGC Site "Stewart Chambers Captain Liverpool Regt Died 1920"., after the cessation of Hostilities & is thus not recorded as CWGC Casualty :poppy:

HB :thumbsup:

**CWGC Link Cptn S.Chambers L'Pool Rgt

This is probably He???

Since he's on the Hollybrook Memorial he was lost/buried at sea presumably.

NA Link

Dan....It appears he was Commissioned [& Promoted to Captain at the time of his death] but as the AVM is named up as A/Cpl; not to serve Overseas in theatre as such,so he was commissioned & then served in UK until released. It is probable as his awards were claimed by NoK that he died of non War related causes** See Link To CWGC Site "Stewart Chambers Captain Liverpool Regt Died 1920"., after the cessation of Hostilities & is thus not recorded as CWGC Casualty :poppy:

HB :thumbsup:

**CWGC Link Cptn S.Chambers L'Pool Rgt

This is probably He???

You guys never fail to amaze me on your detective work, medal no use to me so when I trade them I can tell the new owner a bit more about them.

Many thanks again Harry

Dan

On my way home tommorrow I'll drop into Airdrie library and look in the book "Coatbridge and the Great War" to see what info they have on him.

Sam

Hi Dan

This thread started in 2008 covers the death of Capt Chambers: -

Also did a bit of digging at the Library, Capt Chambers was listed as a Cpl RAMC in the book I mentioned above which lists all those who served in WW1 from Coatbridge, it was published in 1919, I then had a look in the local paper on microfilm I found the following piece in "The Coatbridge Leader" from 27/11/1920, you'll see Capt Chambers DID NOT die at sea: -

Coatbridge Officer Kidnapped in Ireland

Sinn Feiners Threatened with Reprisals

"Vengence will be Sure"

The following notice was posted in several parts of Cork city during the early hours of Wednesday morning.

"If Capt Green, Capt Chambers and Lt Watts are not released unharmed within 48hrs , leading members of the Irish Republican Army will be suitably dealt with. Ignore this at your peril. Vengence wil be slow, but it will be sure."

The note refers to 3 Officers kidnapped at Waterfall on Monday 15th November, and taken to an unknown destination. Despite active enquiry, no trace of the Officers has been obtained.

Information comes from Cork that the Capt Chambers is Capt Stewart Chambers, who's home address is 53 Colt Terrace, Coatbridge. Capt Chambers was a Reservist who at the outbreak of War , was recalled to the Colours and served with the R.A.M.C. in France. His devotion to duty was recognised by his superiors , and it was with regret that he was transferred to a combatant unit, 3rd King's Own Loyal Lancasters. With that Bn he served for over 2 years and during that period he was wounded 4 times. His ability and zeal earned him favourable notice from his officers and he was sent home to qualify as an officer. Shortly before the Armistice, he was gazetted as a LT to the King's Own Liverpool Regiment, and subsequently was sent to Ireland for duty in the Education Corps at Cork in the Irish Command. It was while serving at Cork he fell into the hand of the Republicans.

Captain Chambers in early life passed the preliminary examinations of Glasgow University, and intended to qualify of the medical profession. He was esteemed by his army colleagues as a man of much inteligence and the conspicuous capacity which he had shown had led to his being sent for duty in the Education Corps. His own regiment The Liverpools is presently doing duty in Egypt.

Inquiry made yesterday elicited that no further information has been received as to the whereabouts of the missing officer. Naturally his relatives are seriously perturbed and anxious at the contretemps but the hope is still entertained that beyond temporary incarceration nothing untoward will happen to our gallant townsman.

Adds a bit of interst to your medals.

Sam

Now Thats What I Call a Result!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Now Thats What I Call a Result!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Harry I would think that is a load of xmas rolled in one

Dan

Harry I would think that is a load of xmas rolled in one

Dan

So the big Q is what kind of value do I put on them

Dan

I would imagine as Irish Troubles Casualties are extremely scarce you could think of a number & double it,such a well documented group could be very expensive indeed .Hens Teeth & Rocking Horse Doo Doo, spring to mind!! I honestly cannot recall the last time I heard of such a group on the Market :poppy:

Pity you don't have his War medal to complete the set, have you considered contacting the "Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser" to see if they'd be interested in running a local history interest story? you could finish the piece by saying you were going to sell the medals, nothing like free advertising eh?

http://www.acadverti...dge-advertiser/

Just remember where the newspaper story came from ;o) You never know, there may still be a relative living locally who'd be glad to pay handsomely for a family hierloom.

His service record would make really interesting reading, but it'll probably be held by the MOD, I reckon there's an error in the piece about him being "3rd King's Own Loyal Lancasters", I reckon it should be King's Own Royal Lancasters, also the 3rd Bn was a training Bn so that's wrong.

Sam

Sam

If it had not been for you replying to my enquiery I would never have known for which I will allways be gratefull. As to a story well I am thinking about it but it requires further research. But to be honest I may never sell them as I am looking for a price for insurance reasons, I have had several offers from a few and they are high offer's they started low and are high end now.

Dan

Well I am no near to what the value of these two medals are , and thank you guys for the research that you have done for me. So I am going to bury them in my pension box for the moment unless I get a crazy offer i can put to my pension.

Dan

• 7 months later...
The Hollybrook Memorial

CWGC says commemorates by name almost 1,900 servicemen and women of the Commonwealth land and air forces* whose graves are not known .....The memorial also bears the names of those who were lost or buried at sea, or who died at home but whose bodies could not be recovered for burial.

The bodies of the 3 officers kidnapped at Waterfall, Cork in Nov 1920 and shot have never been found (Watts, Green and Chambers)