Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge Identification Help Required

wellsms

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what the collar badge is that this guy (distant relative) is wearing. I'm struggling to find his MIC... with a name like Gideon Horsefield you'd think it easy, and am hoping that the extra info will help. I know that he was serving in 1915 as I have a picture of him in civvies wearing a 1915 On Service badge

I will also post a group photo at a camp, as you can see the badges and very distinctive caps.

I'm sure the answer will be obvious, but as the old saying goes.. questions are only easy if you know the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

post-23-1088017324.jpg

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what the collar badge is that this guy (distant relative) is wearing. I'm struggling to find his MIC... with a name like Gideon Horsefield you'd think it easy, and am hoping that the extra info will help. I know that he was serving in 1915 as I have a picture of him in civvies wearing a 1915 On Service badge

I will also post a group photo at a camp, as you can see the badges and very distinctive caps.

I'm sure the answer will be obvious, but as the old saying goes.. questions are only easy if you know the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Looks to me like Royal Marines in Broderick caps.

RMLI:Royal Marine Light Infantry to give them their Correct contemporary title,The Cap Badge was a Wreathed Globe surmounted by A LI Bugle Horn,The Crowned RM badge did not appear until after WW1[ They also had special Badges for RM Labour Corps{A Ship Replaced the Bugle} & RMA Who wore a Grenade in place of the Globe,Also the different Depot RM Band Badges were variants of the Globe Badge,with seperate devices above it.

I know that he was serving in 1915 as I have a picture of him in civvies wearing a 1915 On Service badge

Mike

Hi Mike

This badge means that he was in a civilian occupation, carrying out war work, such as munnitions, dock work etc at the time the photo was taken and not in the Forces. I would assume that he joined the RMLI after the picture was taken. The date on the badge, 1915, is the date this badge came into force and not necessarily the date of the photo. There have been one or two threads on "On War Service" badges on the forum in the past and a search may find you more information.

Steve

Thanks for the replies. Being a Marine is presumably is why I can't find him on the Online MICs as they only cover Army and RFC.

I will look up the "On War Service" badge threads.

Mike

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Thanks for the replies. Being a Marine is presumably is why I can't find him on the Online MICs as they only cover Army and RFC.

Yes - but you should be lucky enough to find an intact service record :)

Ian