Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC/Connaught Rangers Tunic

archangel9

The RFC became the RAF before the war ended. The medals were issued after the war so to see the two together is incorrect.

Regards.

Tom.

If there are only 5 Connaught MC winners with RFC wings then it should be pretty easy to ID the Lt who had served in the Connaughts, had served in the RFC, did not serve with the RAF but returned to the Army in 1919 when he put his ribbons on, all of this after 1919 and before 1922 when the Connaughts went. How many Lts fit that criteria. Either that or he has some good needlework skills.....

Not all RFC officers switched to the RAF wings when the change came on 1 April 1918, and many actually kept their old wings throughout the remainder of the War, (and a bit beyond). The tunic looks like it could be correct and original, but I would want the names of the five possible officers to whom it may have belonged to one of, as well as the name of the auction house so it could verify when it was sold and who offered it. IMHO, that's a lot to pay for a tatty example, but could be worth it if it's history can be proven.

Cheers!

Lou

RFC wings were worn after the war but their status was unofficial really. Just out of interest, I once owned a Home Guard Captain's battledress blouse from the WW2 era. I acquired this from the daughter of the original wearer. It had an RFC wing, MC and Pip, Squeak and Wilfred. So unofficialy at least they continued for some time. I think Max has hit the nail on the head. It should be relatively easy to identify the original owner.

As to the tunic hmmmm.....yes dates of sale, names etc. But very tired. I notice no photos of buttons, are they leather or Connaught? Where exactly is it 'badged' to the Connaught's?

Tocemma

The RFC became the RAF before the war ended. The medals were issued after the war so to see the two together is incorrect.

Regards.

Tom.

It was possible then and still is to wear the wings of the service in which they were earned. As you say, the RFC became the RAF in April 1918 before the war ended, but it was not uncommon for army pilots to retain their RFC wings on SD in whatever unit they served with after the war. It was not obligatory to change them to RAF as there was a kind of 'grandfather's rights' attitude and there was also the matter of cost as tailoring was a personal expense for officers.

Where exactly is it 'badged' to the Connaught's?

Tocemma

Was thinking that too. What evidence is there of the Connaught Rangers? I don't see it.

John

I believe, but stand to be corrected, that this tunic was sold by Tennants Auctioneers of Leyburn last year.

Mark

I believe, but stand to be corrected, that this tunic was sold by Tennants Auctioneers of Leyburn last year.

Mark

Mark,

Looks like you are correct.

http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Lots/50956.aspx

"A First World War Khaki Tunic, to a Lieutenant of the Royal Flying Corps, formerly in the Connaught Rangers, with brass buttons and medal ribbon, including Military Cross, with peaked cap; a No.1 Blues Peaked Cap, to an officer of the Green Howards, with leather chin strap and brass buttons. (3)

Guide Price: £60-80

Sold: £500"

These are the five possibles mentioned by the seller - "Research with Regimental Museum has identified only 5 possibile owners "

1. Medal card of Inglis, George Steevens

Corps Regiment No Rank

Connaught Rangers Lieutenant

Royal Flying Corps Lieutenant

King's African Rifles Lieutenant

2. Medal card of Bellew, William Arthur Grattan

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Flying Corps Second Lieutenant

Connaught Rangers Royal Flying Corps Major

Dow 24/3/17

3. Medal card of Tiptaft, Cyril Paxman

Corps Regiment No Rank

Connaught Rangers Second Lieutenant

Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force Second Lieutenant

LG - 22/8/1919 Lt. C P Tiptaft MC Placed on retired list

due to ill health caused by wounds.

4. Medal card of Maguire, Matthew Lawrence

Corps Regiment No Rank

Connaught Rangers Second Lieutenant

Royal Flying Corps Temporary Lieutenant

DoW 28/04/1917

5. Medal card of Gregory, Robert

Corps Regiment No Rank

Connaught Rangers Lieutenant

Royal Flying Corps Temporary Major

MC and Legion of honour.

Numbers 2 and 4 can, I believe, be ruled out as the BW & V Medals were not authorised until 1919. I think number 5 can also be ruled out as he held the rank of Temporary Major in the RFC. If my thinking is correct that leaves

1. Inglis, George Steevens and

3. Tiptaft, Cyril Paxman, as the possible owners of the tunic.

John

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'd imagine James Lee Jackson or Frederick Frank Reilly Minchin would also have been candidates as ex Connaught Rangers with the Royal Flying Corps, later RAF.

(Oscar Heron was ex-Connaught Rangers but, as far as I recall, he received the DFC, not the MC).

I may need to dust off some old USB sticks but I do remember an attempt at a spreadsheet for Irish winners of gallantry medals who served with the RFC after service with an Irish regiment. I gather the figure was over 100, so it would be likely that there'd be at least a dozen Connaught Rangers. (Will re-check, as it may be useful to the forum to post some research for others to add).