Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cause of Disability

Ken Lees

In one of the pension forms for a soldier of the 9th King's is the abbreviation "D.A.N." as shown below.

Any ideas what this disability was?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

post-927-083358900 1295127653.jpg

Google gives the following:

diabetic autonomic neuropathy

Which I think has to do with numbness of the extremities caused by diabetes - does that fit?

Dave Swarbrick

It's "D.A.H." (look at the 'H' in Henry) - disordered action of the heart. Antony

It's "D.A.H." (look at the 'H' in Henry) - disordered action of the heart. Antony

Which probably means "an irregular heart beat but we've no idea what's causing it or even if its dangerous but to be on the safe side.........."

Thanks, Caryl; a really interesting study - although the understanding of access to popular cinema before and during WW1 may be somewhat skewed by the perception that it was as common as it was post-WW2, thus leading to a misunderstanding of the origin of "flashbacks". Antony

Thanks, Caryl; a really interesting study - although the understanding of access to popular cinema before and during WW1 may be somewhat skewed by the perception that it was as common as it was post-WW2, thus leading to a misunderstanding of the origin of "flashbacks". Antony

Funny you should say that Antony, because I started a topic on the very subject of 'flashbacks' this morning

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158529&st=0&p=1532567&fromsearch=1entry1532567

Caryl

• 3 years later...

Caryl - thatnks for providing this information - it enabled me to find out why a oension was granted.

Everyone -

Grateful for help in interpreting "Nature of disabiility code " 29?

Which probably means "an irregular heart beat but we've no idea what's causing it or even if its dangerous but to be on the safe side.........."

Not a good guess, I'm afraid.

There is a detailed American article about D.A.H. HERE although, having experienced the condition (the syndrome) from as far back as the Civil War, it discusses quite critically the many terms used to identify it (including the British D.A.H.).

A quote:

The unfortunate failure of most authors of textbooks on medicine to recognize the condition at all resulted in a very inadequate appreciation, in both civil and military practice, of the importance of the syndrome.

It is now called neurocirculatory asthenia.